Fuel tank switchover problem

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck ran fine on the front tank but when I switched over to the rear tank at 80mph the motor started bucking and the fuel filter light came on. Switched back to the front tank and the motor ran fine again. I did use the rear tank at lower speeds and it seemed to work fine. I don't think there's a fuel quality issue in the rear tank.
Any ideas?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Disconnect the fuel lines on both sides of the valve and try blowing through it in the rear tank position. It might have trash blocking it. Aftermarket valves tell you to put filters between it and the tanks or warranty is void, due to that risk of trash damaging the valve.

So I did with my new lifetime warranty valve, with a pair of $4/each filters from AutoZone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Try Cubey’s idea first.

But if it happens again you probably need a new tank selector valve. The fuel tank selector valves wear out over time. They seem to get stuck in between tanks and cause issues. Not sure what style your year used. Some try used ones other buy the new small version as the big old ones are hard to find.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try Cubey’s idea first.

But if it happens again you probably need a new tank selector valve. The fuel tank selector valves wear out over time. They seem to get stuck in between tanks and cause issues. Not sure what style your year used. Some try used ones other buy the new small version as the big old ones are hard to find.

The new one I got was the same size and style as the old, but the connections were backwards vs the original, so I had to drill new mounting holes and mount it upside down as you see in the pic, otherwise it would have been a mess of excess hoses to go back and forth. It also needed the different pigtail spliced in. It doesn't matter that it's upside down though, it still works fine. My original one leaked badly but still operated properly.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a YT Vid of taking apart the FSS showing what is inside it, and what his problem was.

There are also some threads here or on FTE detailing how the take one of these apart.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

EDIT:

Found one of the threads on tear down of the FSV Valve

another one

One more

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is a YT Vid of taking apart the FSS showing what is inside it, and what his problem was.

There are also some threads here or on FTE detailing how the take one of these apart.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

Yep. I took the original apart but I couldn't find o-rings to fit it that can stand up to diesel, so I put the parts in a zip lock bag and tossed it in a box.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of good, useful information here.
Many thanks!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the valve is happy on one tank for now can I run it and just not try switching tanks until the valve is replaced?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If the valve is happy on one tank for now can I run it and just not try switching tanks until the valve is replaced?

Yes, if your returned fuel is going to the same tank it's being pulled from. That's what I do on my F250. I've never tried to use the rear tank.

On my RV, I just removed the valve entirely and used blue clip on splicers with a jumper wire to activate the appropriate sending unit and plumbed to bypass it, making it a single tank setup until I replaced my badly leaking valve. It leaked worse set to rear than front but I get single digit mpg, so any fuel leaking is unwelcome. That's also why I needed the valve replaced, for more than a 100-120 mile range before having to refuel on a single tank, never going below 1/4 tank.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get all complicated and create a plumbers night mare, and go all mechanical.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You can get all complicated and create a plumbers night mare, and go all mechanical.

Goat

It's not that bad. Just get a couple feet of both 5/16 and 3/8 fuel line and run a bypass around the valve. Leave the valve there for the sending unit function.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fuel pickup screen assembly in your tank has probably disintegrated, and part of it is clogging your valve. I would check to make sure that the valve isn’t stuck halfway, drawing fuel from your front tank and returning fuel to the rear. My front tank was overflowing out of the vent tube for exactly this reason. I bypassed the valve and am just running one tank until I get around to fixing it.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info here , don’t waist your money on a FSS from Ford (350$) like I did,

Better off fixing the one you have or converting to e-pump setup and run a 38 gallon rear tank , then you don’t have to worry about the switch on the dash either and can eliminate the mechanical fuel pump as well.

I have had 2 selector valves fail on me , lucky I was able to warranty one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online