Fuel tank mod now results in massive fuel spill at pump

Reaction score
So, like most, my truck struggles with taking fuel at the pump. It clicks off all the dang time unless you trickle it in. Rear tank is by far the worst.

A couple of weeks ago, after reading up on this some more, I decided to do the "mod" where you enlarge the vent hole using a Philips screwdriver and a mallet. Today was judgment day, and results are mixed. I started on the rear tank and, amazingly, the rear took the full blast, so much so that I set the tab to let it auto-fill and walked away to clean the windshield. Well, 6 gallons later, I hear it click off and then a huge splash. I come back around to about half a quart of fuel on the ground. I re-engaged the pump (because I'm smart), and it promptly re-did the same thing.

So now I have to replace the fill neck. Joy. Any idea where I went wrong? The front tank is fine, but the rear is just plain embarrassing at this point...

Mike

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harpooning the tank???
the pipe in pipe cannot be enlarged with success to my knowledge

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok look at your vent you may have something that takes a bit of flow before you get it to block the vent my truck has a hose with 2 loops in it for he vent and every now and againe I will get a price of crap that blocks the flow and my truck will do that like exactly 6 to 7 gallons as soon as I clear it it's all good full bore fueling from then till next time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance