Fuel Tank Design

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Im dumping the rear tank as well as the FSV. I dont want to carry around only 16 or 19 or what ever the front tank is of diesel. So i know transferflo as well as maybe others make a replacement front tank out of steel that is 40 something gallons but at over 1000$ a pop its not going to happen. SO has anyone made a diesel tank themselves? I know galvanized can NOT be used because the diesel eats at it. But if i make a tank out of regular steel is there a coating on the inside that needs to be put in to prevent rust? Are the tanks made out of stainless? Just looking for some input Thanks. And no i do not want the 33gal rear tank.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just get a 38 gallon bronco tank from LMC to take place of your existing rear tank. You can't mount the spare under it, but you probably can't mount a full size spare under there anyway. Anything bigger than stock won't fit up inside the trailer hitch on mine.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Get a tank from a 97-03 truck. They are the midship tanks and can be 24gal or 30gal and just make it work. or there is a 46gallon custom made tank. Or get a 30gallon small square tank for the bed and run a line to it to manual feed into your front tank. so when your front tank gets low just open the manual valve and fill it back up.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395491_200395491

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I saw at a garage sale once a brand new 150 gallon steel in-bed tank complete with pump,hose,and nozzle for 150 bucks...I still wish to this day I had bought it... Some super-old guy that had just never used it.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yeah I picked up my 105gallon L shape tank w/ electric pump and toolbox for $250 brand new from a ag store that was closing. I jumped on that. The only thing about a transfer tank with a pump is that if DOT gets bored they can target you and ask to dip your tanks.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a set of saddle tanks that fit outside the frame, and run under the cab from front of the door edge to 20 inches behind the cab, under the bed.

I'm thinking mild steel, or aluminum would work OK , but I'm not anywhere near the rust belt/snow/salt/ belt.... For there, stainless in 20 gage should work.

Round shape will give me as much as 14 inches diameter and 48 inches long which puts each tank in the 40 gallon range. With 80 gallons on board my total range would be over 1200 mi. before dry with no reserve.

If I play with the shape a bit more oval/rectangle I could up the volume a bit.

One thing I want is a sump drain in each tank so I can drop any water out, and another thing I want is a tank sending unit that is an over the shelf unit and cheap. Also baffles and a clean out opening with good access.

Yea, I know.. saddle tank is not the best for side impact crash.... why I haven't done it I guess.
Just thinking.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yeah but at some point all the extra weight causes you to lose mpg. My pickup notices a 2/3 mpg decrease with the 105 full and the rear 38 full running off the front tank on trips.

My 6x6 doesnt know the difference between 1 70 gallon 1 50 gallon and a 105gal filled on it.

I will note that the extra tank does come in handy if you go into some of those states where diesel is a ****** price. like california. I used to always fill up in Reno and NEVER get fuel when I was inside that state.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Maybe just get a 38 gallon bronco tank from LMC to take place of your existing rear tank. You can't mount the spare under it, but you probably can't mount a full size spare under there anyway. Anything bigger than stock won't fit up inside the trailer hitch on mine.

I dont want a rear tank. Period. Thanks though

Get a tank from a 97-03 truck. They are the midship tanks and can be 24gal or 30gal and just make it work. or there is a 46gallon custom made tank. Or get a 30gallon small square tank for the bed and run a line to it to manual feed into your front tank. so when your front tank gets low just open the manual valve and fill it back up.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5491_200395491

I was looking at a couple pics of some dodge tanks and they have a huge piece that sticks up at the end and wont work. Anyone have some pics of some other tanks. I have mine out right now to kind of compare.
I cant have a bed tank as my stacks, *****, and air tank are all in the box i made back there already.

I guess stainless would be the best bet to go if i was going to make a new tank. I would be happy with a good 30 gal tank.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Mine are custom made by Aero Tanks 909 388-0002 about 44 gal and 183.00 plus shipping and optional skid plate. total on board fuel is 109 gal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was asking if there's any reason NOT to build your own tanks. Clearly, he's pretty good at that kind of stuff. Can you weld aluminum? If so, maybe that's the tank you want.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I've built several fuel tanks. Just never for my own truck. Usually for gensets. Never had an issue building them out of aluminum.

I will second the notion of using a newer tank. I have a 31 gallon tank from a F150 2002 thats in my front position. I still have my 44 gallon rear tank with manual selector valves. I can average 1100-1300 miles per fill up.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but at some point all the extra weight causes you to lose mpg. My pickup notices a 2/3 mpg decrease with the 105 full and the rear 38 full running off the front tank on trips.

Point taken, but in my case with a F450 1 ton, having 80 gallons on board doesn't even compress the springs. I've had 4ea 55 gallon barrels of WMO in the bed full of oil and the only thing I noticed was it rode smoother for once.

Pretty soon I'm going to pull the front clip, cab, and bed off for a strip and paint and while I'm doing that I think I will get serious about doing the saddle tanks. Want to install my gear vendors and turbo at the same time so "another project"... :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Mine are custom made by Aero Tanks 909 388-0002 about 44 gal and 183.00 plus shipping and optional skid plate. total on board fuel is 109 gal.

can you enlighten me on such tank? Pics? And only 183? Now that is do able :thumbsup:

is this a midship or a rear?

Last edited:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I've built several fuel tanks. Just never for my own truck. Usually for gensets. Never had an issue building them out of aluminum.

I will second the notion of using a newer tank. I have a 31 gallon tank from a F150 2002 thats in my front position. I still have my 44 gallon rear tank with manual selector valves. I can average 1100-1300 miles per fill up.

can you also show me some pics of this tank installed? I would be greatly satisfied with that kind of capacity from my midship tank! Exactly what i am in search for.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine is building me a tank for in bed use its gonna be my only tank I'm doing away with both stock tanks. He works at a tank factory its getting built out of stainless ill get some pics when its done

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726