Fuel prime

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey so I suspect my rear tank has a broken feed stem so my truck has "run out of fuel" with half a tank left... I am going to change the filter and switch fuel tanks... after this how do I prime my fuel? can I just crank on the motor to prime it? seems that is what much of what I've seen is implying...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you change the fuel filter, pre-fill it with as much fuel as you can. It should not take too much cranking to get it going after that. Just let the starter rest for about a minute after about 20-30 seconds of cranking.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even do 20 seconds of cranking... I ran out of fuel one time because I'm an idiot and forgot to switch tanks. I ended up killing my batteries before my lines were primed. I think 20-30 seconds is way too much on the starter, and NOBODY likes replacing starters... I would do 5-8 seconds of cranking, sit for 30 seconds, repeat.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I hate wearing down my batteries, and putting excess wear on my starter. If I need to bleed, then I loosen the line at the fuel filter that goes to the pump, once I see fuel there, I tighten that, then I loosen a few injectors, and so far it always fires right up after a few cranks. I shut it down, and retighten those lines.

Sure it's a little messy, but these engines seem to embrace a little messy, lol.

Aside from that, I've read that going to an electric fuel pump will also make priming a lot easier.