fuel line backflow preventer?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed these fuel backflow preventers on evil bay has anybody tried these? Yes I do have a problem with leaking orings and the return lines are still original, need to get in there and replace. But are these are good idea when I am in there? Before replacing the lift pump that finally crooked the truck would crank and crank a few cyls would fire then a couple seconds all will be firing but after the fuel pump it will fire all 8 but then it will either die or surge for a couple seconds then all ok.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A check valve is a band aid just like the electric fuel pumps. You already know you have bad o-rings, just change them and rid of your problems instead of adding temporary solutions. Besides the check valve could cause a restriction, increasing injection pump pressure resulting in changed timing internally.
You can get a bag of o-rings for about $6 at HERE: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9464k24/=9kf8pa
If your caps are original and brittle you may opt for a kit that includes the caps, orings, and hose. Shop around prices vary for the kits.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered the same but went ahead and replaced the whole fuel return system. Problems with starting are gone. A check valve at $3 would be a waste of money and time in my opinion. Its actually kind of nice that a bad fuel return system causes hard starts, because it keeps you from having it let loose on the road, at which point you're going to get about 1 mile per gallon until it is fixed, which can be a lot of fuel if you're 20 miles from home. I have an 85 Mercedes, this happened to me. You could see the line of fuel on the road behind me from the driver's seat.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will stay away from the backflow and yes the caps are original get this with 211000, also looks like the injectors are original also. This is when a NA engine comes in handy. Thank you for the posts!!

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I considered the same but went ahead and replaced the whole fuel return system. Problems with starting are gone. A check valve at $3 would be a waste of money and time in my opinion. Its actually kind of nice that a bad fuel return system causes hard starts, because it keeps you from having it let loose on the road, at which point you're going to get about 1 mile per gallon until it is fixed, which can be a lot of fuel if you're 20 miles from home. I have an 85 Mercedes, this happened to me. You could see the line of fuel on the road behind me from the driver's seat.

I just ordered a return cap set. I have lost about 10 MPG because of the leaks!:eek: