Fuel Heat Exchanger

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
The other week when i was in Winchester Ford getting a new Fuel line from the filter to the IP for my 93, i got a book on the new superduty (because he was trying to get me to test drive one and get rid of my old 7.3) anyway while looking around in the book, it talks about a fuel heat exchanger, its a radiator to keep the fuel cooler it is supposed to help on emissions, help with HP and TQ. So my ? is would it help my old IDI if i had a fuel cooler on it.. I know i have a fuel heater.. what purpose does it serve besides to keep fuel from gelling? I got to thinking, if i ran a line from the filter head to tranny cooler looking "fuel heat exchanger" than into the IP that should work.

Any opinions, ideas, or suggestions?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the heat exchanger wasn't to HEAT the fuel? Hotter, thinner fuel should burn better I would think.

I know the WVO guys have reported better mileage when heating their diesel fuel.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2008superduty/insidestory/

click on POWER in upper left hand corner then go down to DIESEL RADIATOR and it talks about it in there. it states that it cools the fuel from 150-160 degees to around 70 degrees

from the research i have done it looks like that process is used to cool the fuel thats going thru the return lines.

http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Syst...Products/Fuel Coolers/fuelcooleroverview.aspx

So now i wonder if we heat up the fuel going in and cool the fuel coming out going back to the tank, if it would help HP and TQ figures on a stock 7.3 or a 7.3 Turbo

Last edited:

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
there's a big battle brewing over "hot" fuel being sold in truckstops, above a certain temp, diesel expands enough to significantly the volume. truckers are getting hosed because the pumps are not using temperature compensating equipment, so they are getting 10-15% less fuel than they pay for.

seems to me the trick would be to figure out what temp the fuel will flow and burn best, without it being so hot that it expanded, becoming less dense and therefore containing less potential energy/volume

sorry, didn't mean to souond so pompous!!

rubberfish

Reaction score
Interesting links bradrob82. :thumbsup: I don't know that
a guy would have to buy one of Dana's probably
over priced coolers. But sure could make something
at home that would work as well. And a bit of
black paint to spruce it up. I'm thinking that
there's all kinds of coolers available that would
do a good job. Even a spare heater core that's
been on the shelf for years that you've been
saving all these years for some reason.

Something like this is probably good.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
i have a couple spare tranny coolers off of old ford trucks laying around, maybe i could adapt one of them up instead of the $$ dana ones, I would like to see a study or some info to state if heating fuel to a certain pt before it gets burned then cooling it when it goes through the return lines, has any significant effects on diesel performance

bigrigdom

Reaction score
if you scroll over a couple from where it talks about the radiators it talks about their gasoline engine choices being a 5.4 liter triton v6 and a 6.8 liter triton v8. seems like somebody would have caught a mistake like thatcookoo . unless of course they have changed the #of cylinders in those engines and im just dumb.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a couple spare tranny coolers off of old ford trucks laying around, maybe i could adapt one of them up instead of the $$ dana ones, I would like to see a study or some info to state if heating fuel to a certain pt before it gets burned then cooling it when it goes through the return lines, has any significant effects on diesel performance

Try contacting board member crossbones, he can give you the info. your looking for.

Dennis

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the reason for the coolers is due to the heat generated by the extremly high injection pressures of a comon rail fuel system.
I know it works in the racing world, but I dont think it will benefit an older diesel much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online