fuel filter drain

RockinB

Reaction score
I've got a leak under the fuel filter. I did a search and found a potential problem in the drain, but didn't find the fix. Any help?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've got a leak under the fuel filter. I did a search and found a potential problem in the drain, but didn't find the fix. Any help?

There's an oring on the bottom half of the filter assembly that is more than likely your culprit.
Much grief is saved by switching over to the 1 piece filter assembly with the senosr ports.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off you need to be sure its the darin and not something near the top thats leaking down.This valve on the bottom sometimes gets dirt stuck in the seat causing it to leak. Have you opened it lately... Try opening it and flushing fuel over the seat. It may stop the leak.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed a fuel filter drain on a powerstroke last night! What a royal pain it the ***!!! There is much to be said for a drain that goes in the trash on the end of a filter.

RockinB

Reaction score
Just verified the leak is not from either fuel filter o-ring. It doesn't seem to leak at idle or when the motor is cold. Cracked the drain with motor off, only got a few drops. Cracked the drain with motor on, mech. lift pump working well. The barbed fuel outlet swivels freely at all times.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Check the fuel heater element plug on the top of the filter. It's got a single wire coming off it.

There's an oring on the underside of the filter head that will leak fuel when running.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That heater o-ring is around $2.50 at International. I just bought 2 of them... I like spares....:sly I had a hell of a time with the punk on the other side of the parts counter. I told him what I wanted and.... Gave him the International part number... His question to me.... Whats the truck vin number.... Can we say dum@ss.... After plenty of talking him down from his self imposed throne he tells me I need to pay the shipping for the filter head cause he dosen't stock it....***.... I want the o-ring... Remember the part number I gave you .....-cuss Finally he goes looking for the o-rings... Comes back and asks me if these are the parts cause he couldn't find a location with a number on the box and this is the only place he has 3 o-rings like his inventory tells him.... Again... What a dum@ss... So I take them because I just want to be gone from there. They are the correct rongs and I installed one... No more wet top of the filter head.... I'm finally a happy guy.... For the time being.....:D

RockinB

Reaction score
No leaks from the top or the filter o-rings. No fuel anywhere on filter body, no fuel on the wide part of the gray fuel filter portion where it contacts the filter. Only on the very bottom. Haven't had a chance to run it since I flushed the drain per icanfixall's suggestion.

RockinB

Reaction score
First run since flushing the seat valve per icanfixall's suggestion is positive. Looks like that did the trick, no leak after a 20 mile trip. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online