FSV wiring

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me where the FSV gets its power in the wiring harness? Can it be anything to do with the fuel tank selector switch wiring?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 89 diagrams it gets power from fuse 15. Power goes from the fuse panel into the dash switch. The dash switch works much like the power window switch. It swaps the positive and the negative polarity to the FSV. The FSV has a little motor in it that does the switching, so like a power window motor, it goes one direction and then the other by the dash switching swapping the polarity of the wires. There are only two to the FSV motor, a red and a brown/white wire. The other wires are for the sending units.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me where the FSV gets its power in the wiring harness? Can it be anything to do with the fuel tank selector switch wiring?
Are you talking about the fsv as in fuel shutoff valve or fsv as in fuel tank selector valve?
If fuel shutoff valve, no. Has nothing to do with the tank selector.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am taking about the FSV (on the injection pump). I removed the harness on the tank selector switch, lots of wires on that thing more than goes to the fuel tank selector valve. I am wondering if that action disabled the FSV. It seems to be the only thing that explains my troubles on Friday. Anyway easy enough to check but the truck is not nearby.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The shut off valve does nothing with tank sector valve. It gets an ignition hot wire (red with green tracer)

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Also different fuses. I blew the tank sector fuse on the road. My gauge read full and it didn't change tanks. So I by passed it but never changed the fuse but keep on trucking to my destination

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Good to know. I've never had problems with either one. Well I have had a bad selector switch on a chevy, but that's it.
Jim- I think it was just a coincidence.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to the truck tomorrow morning early with a fresh mind. I find it hard to believe that TWO problems bit me, FSV and lift pump, both. Will test for each definitively and crank that ******* up. Tried to get parts today, lift pump butt plate and decent electric pump but no luck at Advanced or Auto Zone, hate those places anyway. My good store closed on Sunday.