front shackle conversion

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I know someone on here has done some, but couldn't find anything as I browsed through postings...what I specifically want if I can get them are pictures of the after product. I'm looking at making my own and would like some pictures to get started with. Anyone done one on an IFS? Is there any reason it couldn't be set up on an IFS? The truck I'm going to do it on has an 8" lift and 38's, and when I installed that lift, about a year and maybe 20k ago, I put new hangers on the front (them cheesy ones) and they are already toast.

I understand those conversions add some lift, any idea how much?

Thanks

Chris

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out Sky Mfg. They make a 3" and 5" front reverse shackle kit. Cheaper than ORU also. Give them a call they will tell you what you need to do the conversion with IFS. I believe drop brackets and possibly some more.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the quick replies.
I'm wanting to avoid Sky Mfg, though he does have good parts. I bought my rear shackle flip kit from him, and after numerous attempts have had NO help from him when I had a couple questions. Also I'm trying not to spend a few hundred dollars cookoo

Pipeliner, how much lift did you end up with after building your setup? Did you cut out the front hanger mounts from inside the framerail, or did you just build around them leaving them in place?

Thanks again. ;Sweet

Chris

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Pipeliner, how much lift did you end up with after building your setup? Did you cut out the front hanger mounts from inside the framerail, or did you just build around them leaving them in place?

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris, I built a bracket that bolted to the frame, and tied the frame rails together. If I still had the truck, I would take some detailed pics for ya, but I sold it last summer. The total lift was somewhere between 4-6" I had 4" blocks on the rear axle and when the truck sat level, the rear of the truck may have been about an inch lower then front. Best advise I can give, is put a lot of thought into how you want to design your shackle brackets. Do alot of measuring, and the go back and re-measure. Once you cut and weld, its final.

that panhard bar bracket is welded on is it?

The panhard bar brackets were welded to the frame crossmember under the engine, and welded to the u-bolt bracket on the pass. side front axle. It worked well, no death-wobble.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
You should NEVER , EVER weld cast to steel!:eek:

;Really

Yeah....It's not a good idea at all. If you are referring to the bracket that is welded under the engine cradle crossmember, it's welded and bolted.
I worked with what I had at the time. I guess I could have spent some time fabbing up a bracket from mild steel, but I used the factory bracket from an 88 F350, and made it work.:dunno

My motto is "Do the best you can with what you've got"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online