French 7,3l doesn't crank

vlrd56

Reaction score
Before trying to write about my Ford ,I read many post well documented but coulnd't not find an answer .
My Ford started mis functionning slowly to die definitely .
After inquiries and checkings it seems no fuel gets out of the HP pump.
Fuel arrives inside ,shrader valve has no air,and I can hear the clicks inside the top when I disconnect the two plugs .
When I removed the top it was full of fuel
What can it be ?
You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try partially opening an injector line to see if fuel comes out (CAUTION: keep your hands clear with this test, you can get hydraulic injection injury if you're not careful).

Do you see any white mist coming out the tailpipe after cranking for 5 seconds or more? (don't crank for more than 10 seconds to save the starter)

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Fuel should shoot out the schrader valve at the filter with some force. A slow drip is not enough to feed the engine.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Can you tell us more about what lead up to this?

Did it become difficult to start for a while? If so how long ago did it start.

Did it start to run or idle worse over time? If so when did you first notice it was having issues.

Did you start to loose power before it died? Or ran good, then would not start a day later.

Per David85 check to see if you are building pressure at the fuel injector. (If not you likely have air in the lines or a bad injector pump.)

If you can give us more about how long it took to die and what symptoms it had before it died we can give you some ideas of what to start looking at.

Common fuel hard start/no start issues are

1) Bad diesel lift pump
2) Clogged or leaking fuel filter
3) Bad fuel tank selector valve (Get's stuck between tanks.)
4) Air intrusion from leaking injector return line system
5) Tired injector pump. (Should be rebuilt every 100,000 miles or 161,000 kilometers.)
6) Your tank pick up broke off and you don't have enough fuel in the tank, or your fuel sock broke off and now it or other debris in your tank is clogging the line.

Others that prevent starting
1) Glow plugs not working (Hard no start even on what may seem like warm days.)
2) IP solenoid not working
3) Timing is off

Let us know more about what lead up to the no start. Then we can help you be more strategic about where to start your testing.

vlrd56

Reaction score
Thancks for answering so quick ;
David 85,I opened an injector line and no fog or drop of fuel came.
If I push the shrader valve while cranking,the drip cross the engine .
Fuel filter is 200 miles old.
Big Bart,one or two times,I couldn't restart after a drive so I decided 6 month ago to park it in the barn .
no loose of power before,always nice idle

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Do you have a guage to test pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel filter holder? You need to confirm if you are building pressure and getting fuel. (3-8 PSI while cranking.)

If not then likely your lift pump is bad or you have a cracked line (So letting air in so not pulling the fuel in.) or blocked line so fuel cannot move to the fuel filter.

If you are getting pressure, then you need to see if you have air intrusion. (Usually the truck will start after cranking for 10 seconds 3-4 times. (You may have to crack the injectors, wait to see fuel, and tighten.)

If still no pressure at the injectors then likely your IP (Injector pump) solenoid or the IP pump is going/gone out.

When was the IP last rebuilt?

vlrd56

Reaction score
I will try to test the pressure this week end .
I don't know if this pump has been rebuilt as I have no idea about the past of this truck .
I only had it for 10 years and I drive it only during week ends for gardening maintenance .
Speaking of return lines :Looking from the driver seat :
On the left,near the radiator,one line goes to the pump
On the left,close to the firewall,one line is connected to the right one and goes to the tank I suppose
On the right front one line goes to the filter
Is it right ?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Nice truck, I like the cattle guard as we call them in the USA.

Can you send some pics of the lines you are asking about? Might be easier to let you know what it does and where it is supposed to go.

vlrd56

Reaction score
Here are three pictures
The top of the pump was full of fuel

vlrd56

Reaction score
finally I poor WD40 in the HP pump,twisted,emptied and did it again and then MIRACLE it started leaking dops at the injector pipe more and more and finally started .
Wher the place to buy a HP pump ?

nice noise throw 'you tube' open your speakers

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me that part of your problem is the starter is turning the engine too slow. I replaced my starter last week because it was doing the same as yours and my truck wouldn't start when it was hot.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
You could try putting a battery charger with boost on the batteries when starting. That would help the starter perhaps turn faster.

Did you check your glow plugs, do they come on for 5-14 seconds? (If not start there.) That would also cause a lack of starting.

I see some diesel coming out of Injector #2 that you loosed up. I am not sure if the truck will start with a loose injector. I don't actually know since I have never tried that. To bleed I open 4-8 injector lines, wait for diesel, then tighten and try to start. So you may want to tighten up that injector, then try to start again.

Where you can send IP's in the USA for repair/replacement. Not sure about Europe.

Stick with it, you will figure it out!

vlrd56

Reaction score
Tradergem and Big Bart you may be true,the engine is slow at start ,one of the batteries is weak and I will both change them .
I changed the glowplugs but no change .
That's only since I wasched the pump with WD40 that it started .
Thancks for the adresses of parts .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online