Freakin Newbie!

mudxtc

Reaction score
Good evening OBN, I am looking into buying a 93 7.3 IDI with a Banks Turbo kit manual trans. I found one locally that I am going to look at this weekend. Any suggestions as to what I should look for? The truck has less than 100K on it and is EXTREMELY straight from the pics I have seen, I just don't know anything about the IDI motors.

I have a 6.4 TT F-350 as my work truck, but I can only use it for company use cookoo

Currently I have an 04 gas Suburban that is really nice it just doesn't have the torque to pull my rock crawler and I think the IDI would be much better suited to pull my toys with..

any thoughts, suggestions?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd want to hear it start cold. Drive it, shift in and out of 4X4, etc. It's hard to hear any engine noise as they rattle anyway and if you're not used to what to listen for, it's tough to hear anything out of the ordinary.

DragRag

Reaction score
My suggestion is bring someone with you that knows these trucks and knows waht to look for. There are a lot of things to look at, like blow by, injection system, cooling system, the list goes on.

Black dawg

Reaction score
on the engine noise deal, its much easier to hear internal engine noise wearing earplugs.

mudxtc

Reaction score
Dragrag and black dawg, thanks for the info, I am an experienced ASE mechanic just NO experience with the 7.3 IDI's. (or diesels for that matter-the only diesel I have any exp. with is the 6.4 in my 08 F-350 and it is get in it and DRIVE :)

Thanks again!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Pick up coolant test strips before you look at it. If it tests that its never been treated with sca's, look for a doner engine, or don't buy it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
;SweetRead the FAQ and introduction threads at the top of this forum. Mel has plenty of must know info there. I still re read the stuff to keep brushed up. Anti-cavitation additive is a life saver for there motors,:angel: read about it, ask the owner if he/she uses anything to prevent cavitation. If they use it, they will know its an additive put in the coolant. You can take a test light to check glow plugs, pull each harness lead to expose gp terminal, test lite lites, good gp. If it starts hard, usually gp issues or look for leaks in the return lines. Easy fixes that may give you leverage in the sale. Cold start should activate high idle for 3-10min depending on temp. OD off light blinking indicates faulty trans codes for an auto, beware. Anything over 120-150,000mi should have a rebuilt auto, ask for receipts. Engine should pull easy and be almost silent at highway speed. Plenty of torque should be evident especially at interstate speeds, should idle smooth enough to make a Lexus jealous, I have done the glass of wine trick, erratic motors are either missing a cyllinder or really turned up. All basic truck stuff applies also, tight front end, no radiator leaks, make sure dual tank system functions properly, look for wheel cyllinder leaks, especially if truck has been sitting. Dig through some threads, there is good info on this site, my wife calls it my diesel ****. :rotflmao Good Luck

DragRag

Reaction score
Pick up coolant test strips before you look at it. If it tests that its never been treated with sca's, look for a doner engine, or don't buy it.

Good call, no additive over the long haul leads to destruction. Of course I roll the dice all the time, so if it's in nice shape and cheap, grab it.

mudxtc

Reaction score
All, thanks for the info, I just read the FAQs. I have some test strips in my toolbox, will definately take them with me.

This is an awesome site!

mudxtc

Reaction score
well, I struck out! called the owner this morning and the truck sold last night........I guess I waited too long! Oh well, I will find another one.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that!

Keep your eyes open and you'll find something that suits you. Welcome to the site!

mudxtc

Reaction score
Well, I just found another one,,,, 1997 Powerstroke F-350 Crewcab, Automatic SRW, Long bed. I am going to take a look at it tonight. 223,000 miles, but it looks like it has been taken care of and has absolutely no mods.......it's not an IDI but it will do :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online