four sixty carb OVER flow!

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I just inherited another Ford, this time an 86 E250 club wagon with a 460, of course my first question was "how do I fit a six point nine turbo in this thing" but right now I want to make it run right, every 460 I own has carb issues, 77 had float issues, 86 F350 leaks, and this van sat on and off for about a year, here are the basics:

Dumps way too much fuel in while ideling and driving
Seems better after van is run, sits for a few hours or days
Seems to drip fuel from bottom of carb
fuel bowl seems to dry up overnight

Any help would be appreciated!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Probably a combination, dirty needle valve not shutting, leaking fuel bowl seals/gaskets, etc. If it sat for any time with the fuel they sell as gasoline these days, I can about assure you there is varnish in there! I've seen it in small engines in 2-3 months!

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D You may have already taken care of it, since it's been a week, but...

Sounds like you'll be way ahead if you just yank the carb off and rebuild it. Fighting to get a carb that's been sitting for a while to actually run right is a losing battle.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Probably a combination, dirty needle valve not shutting, leaking fuel bowl seals/gaskets, etc. If it sat for any time with the fuel they sell as gasoline these days, I can about assure you there is varnish in there! I've seen it in small engines in 2-3 months!

:D You may have already taken care of it, since it's been a week, but...

Sounds like you'll be way ahead if you just yank the carb off and rebuild it. Fighting to get a carb that's been sitting for a while to actually run right is a losing battle.
I agree clean up, you can't go wrong.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online