Found a truck need help!

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well I plan on gettin 12 grand from the bank just in case. It needs tires so thats a must. I think this thing has been babied all its life. Its all highway miles. He did use it to haul a few trailers like a smaller 5th wheel camper and a tandem axle trailer for a small tractor.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
True but on the other side of the coin, do you want to spend $10k on a truck that's only worth about half of that? The reason I'm asking is because if it gets wrecked, insurance is only going to pay you what it's worth not what you have in it. Course we wouldn't be truck guys if we didn't sink a little cash into our rigs, but just trying to give you perspective.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Very true. I know wrecking it can happen anytime. I've never been in one thank god. Im just more worried about somethin else happening to it like mechanically. I mean i drove it and everything works fine. Tranny shifts fine. Motor sounds great. I did notice some diesel leaking where the pump is.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Could be something simple. Could be the High Pressure Oil Pump, fuel filter canister, injection pump, etc. Oh one other common repair you'll likely need to make is either a turbo rebuild or upgrade. If the turbo has been rebuilt, the O-rings on the oil supply lines are prone to cracking and leaking copious amounts of oil into the engine valley which will then leak down the rear of the engine.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I will ask him about the turbo. I rolled under the truck and it was dry. There was a lil oil from the engine oil plug. Oil was just changed. Oil was clean. He had 500 miles on the change. No water in oil. No water in oil fill area. Had clean coolant. No leaks around the tranny.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
GOOD! Part of me wants it, part of me dont. I think i'd be stupid not to buy it. How many miles have you heard these engines can go with proper maintenance? How many miles can the truck go with proper maintenance. He said he uses 1545 rotella? I think it was 1545.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
It's likely he means Rotella 15w-40 which is the standard Rotella weight. It's been used by many OTR drivers for decades and has more than proven itself as a good oil.

I have a friend who used to hot shot and now has a construction company with his dad and brother. He has a '03 F350 4x4 with the 7.3L. As far as I know he's kept it stock the entire time. Last I heard he had at least 250k on it and those are mostly hot-shot and/or pulling his 30' gooseneck with one of the Bobcat T300s or Kubota on it. He's had to do normal maintenance and repairs, but the engine and trannie are still going strong. Next time I talk to him I'll get the skinny on his truck.

Lost of folks go high miles with the trucks, but you gotta remember that in order to play, you gotta pay.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea very true. I mean it looks like this thing has been babied all its life. The body definately tells it all. One small dent with a scratch in it. Paint is nice and shiny. Seats not worn. Underneath was dry. I talked to my dad about it and we are gonna call a guy we deal with and see what he thinks. And my dad is gonna go with me and look at it since hes a motorhead. I looked up KBB on it with 243K miles. excellent condition is 11,195. Good is 10,620. and Fair is 9,895. Hes askin 7500 for it.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
True but I've found that KBB is a bit higher than reality. I'd suggest looking at some of the online sites such as eBay Motors, Car Finder, etc. to see what similar trucks are going for in your area. KBB takes a nationwide average but in your area the real value might be more or less.

Luck with it.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well i called the guy about goin to lookin at his truck again with my dad and he decided not to sell it haha. The search continues. Thanks everyone so far for helpin out. Yall have been great. Thanks rebel! I will keep on postin trucks that i find for info.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well went to ford and they have a truck. This is the second time i've driven this truck. Has a lot of miles but drives like new. It was bought new at this dealership and it has all the service records with it. The guy had the oil changed there everytime. I have the truck at my house so my dad and i can go over it real good then probably make a deal on it tonight. 99 F250 4x4 ext cab auto. Very nice inside. Only prob i see is the windshield is cracked which they are gonna fix and the drivers side door at the bottom the weather stripping is gone and its starting to rust there. Its not rusted all the way through yet but needs some attention before it gets any worse. Has new tires that are a lil bigger. So far its a great truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent