Found a diesel K5 blazer for sale

tgatch

Reaction score
What are the tings to look for? It's got a $2,000 price tag on the window. I'm considering a WVO project.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
If it has a 700r4 trans pay attention to how it shifts. Alot of people "adjust" the kickdown cable, but don't to a good job. It usually causes poor and inconsistant shifts until it pukes... Check for excessive blow by at the oil fill cap and look for bubbles in the coolant when warmed up. If it has either it is probably near the end of its useful life.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has a 700r4 trans pay attention to how it shifts. Alot of people "adjust" the kickdown cable, but don't to a good job. It usually causes poor and inconsistant shifts until it pukes... Check for excessive blow by at the oil fill cap and look for bubbles in the coolant when warmed up. If it has either it is probably near the end of its useful life.
+1 on his comments.
but if you're near any GSA auction facilities, you may be able to pick up motors pretty cheap. Just go after the new or uninstalled rebuilts. the used take-outs are not worth it. Another thing is new heads don't cost much for these motors either. THM700's are pretty cheap to rebuild too, the cost is usually under 1100 installed. Until the Sandbox II, gov't surplus 6.2/6.5's made these trucks and motors a poor man's way to own a diesel.

tgatch

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. If anyone is interested in it, I can put you in touch with Idaho Youth Ranch that has it.

Well it runs good. Seems to not have much blow by. No bubbles in the coolant tank once I got it warmed up. Tracks true and straight. Has new front brakes, batteries, Radiator and heater hoses, new glow plugs.

Not sure if the trans is a TH350 or a 700R4, but it shifts nice and solid. (figured out it is a 700R4 as it is a 4 speed auto). Has Warn hubs, 4x4 engages good. Slight body rust on the tailgate. Tailgate lock seems to not work. No radio, no A/C, and heater blows hot. Needs a new windshield as the one it has is cracked all the way across. I could find no signs that it had been in an accident.

Now, I drove it and I have to say it is no rocket ship, but it seemed to perform better than the old 6.5 Dually I drove at times in the Marines.

The wife and I talked, and as much as I would LOVE to buy this Blazer, I think we decided the money will be better spent on finishing our basement.

So someday, maybe.

DieselBurps

Reaction score
+1 on his comments.
but if you're near any GSA auction facilities, you may be able to pick up motors pretty cheap. Just go after the new or uninstalled rebuilts. the used take-outs are not worth it. Another thing is new heads don't cost much for these motors either. THM700's are pretty cheap to rebuild too, the cost is usually under 1100 installed. Until the Sandbox II, gov't surplus 6.2/6.5's made these trucks and motors a poor man's way to own a diesel.

Are the used "take-outs" that bad? With the "up armoring" that is going on, the 6.2's are being dumped en masse right now. Supposedly they are being pulled out of running vehicles and replaced with newer 6.5L turbo engines. I just picked up 2 more 6.2's (3 total now) for $60 each. The box they come in is worth more than that as scrap.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the used "take-outs" that bad? With the "up armoring" that is going on, the 6.2's are being dumped en masse right now. Supposedly they are being pulled out of running vehicles and replaced with newer 6.5L turbo engines. I just picked up 2 more 6.2's (3 total now) for $60 each. The box they come in is worth more than that as scrap.

If you ever spent time in the Army or Marine Corp you'ld never ask that.....;Poke :angel:

We beat the $%#^% out of those things and I never saw them pulling good 6.2 to replace with a 6.5 while I was over there. We ran them till they :puke: first.

It has been a couple years since I played :shoot: in the sandbox so it could have changed.

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
What year did you find there Tom?

I had an '85 that went thru transmissions but the good thing they were cheap to rebuild back then(late 80's) The glow plugs tend to fuse themselves metal to metal as I found out at replacing a set when it was like 20 degrees outsidecookoo

I wouldn't mind finding another one day,they're fun trucks.

DieselBurps

Reaction score
If you ever spent time in the Army or Marine Corp you'ld never ask that.....;Poke :angel:

We beat the $%#^% out of those things and I never saw them pulling good 6.2 to replace with a 6.5 while I was over there. We ran them till they :puke: first.

It has been a couple years since I played :shoot: in the sandbox so it could have changed.
Army or Marine Corp? No thanks - I'm straight!!! :rotflmao

I thought those diesels like to be worked! You guys were just blowing the carbon out!! From what I've been able to gather, the 6.5 turbos are going in NOW - and the 6.2's are getting yanked in running shape. They may not be perfect, but if the block & heads aren't cracked and the crank is in good shape - they seem like an excellent deal if you can get them on a low bid.

Besides - how hard can you beat a 6.2? The throttle only goes down so far.

tgatch

Reaction score
What year did you find there Tom?

I had an '85 that went thru transmissions but the good thing they were cheap to rebuild back then(late 80's) The glow plugs tend to fuse themselves metal to metal as I found out at replacing a set when it was like 20 degrees outsidecookoo

I wouldn't mind finding another one day,they're fun trucks.

It's an 84 with the 700R4 OD trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online