Flickering high beams

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This evening I was driving home from a little car show and just before I arrived at home my high beams started to go off and on rapidly.
As soon as I switched back to normal driving lights everything was okay.
If I switch back to high beams they work but after some time (seconds to half a minute, depending how long the high beams were on) they start to flicker again.

Wiggling the cables that go to the fuse box didn't change anything.

Is this a known problem?
Where should I start to look?

Could be burnt wires on the light switch but last time I checked they were okay.

Greetings

Chris

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check light switch itself for signs of excess heat. Thats a known area of failure.

Adding relays for hi and low removes load from switch thus runs cooler and lights brighter

Search headlight relay mod

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't messed with headlights for ages, but way back when, the headlight circuit was protected by quick resetting circuit breakers, one for each side, have no idea if that's the case now.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't messed with headlights for ages, but way back when, the headlight circuit was protected by quick resetting circuit breakers, one for each side, have no idea if that's the case now.

I heard closely near the fusebox last evening and yes, it was clicking (or sparking :rolleyes:) rapidly somewhere, but not loud! Could this be resetting circuit breakers?
(It was dark: I couldn't see sparks)

Last year I already thought about a headlight relay mod... I think it's time now

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about it, but isn't that circuit breaker plugged into the fuse panel. I'm with riotwarrior, head light switch, burnt contacts = hi amps.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old bull right its not the circuit breaker in the fuse box. Its the built non replaceable circuit breaker in the headlight switch. The bimetallic switch fatigues over time, think of if as a larger version of a blinker flasher. Hi beams pull more amps then the low beams and heats up the bimetallic strip and causes the contacts to open. Once open there is no load the strip cools and contacts close to repeat the cycle.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This evening I was driving home from a little car show and just before I arrived at home my high beams started to go off and on rapidly.
As soon as I switched back to normal driving lights everything was okay.
If I switch back to high beams they work but after some time (seconds to half a minute, depending how long the high beams were on) they start to flicker again.

Wiggling the cables that go to the fuse box didn't change anything.

Is this a known problem?
Where should I start to look?

Could be burnt wires on the light switch but last time I checked they were okay.

Greetings

Chris

attachment.php

attachment.php
is this the '96 or the '88?
if it's the '88 make sure to rule out a failing floor dimmer switch FIRST. :D

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this the '96 or the '88?
if it's the '88 make sure to rule out a failing floor dimmer switch FIRST. :D

It's the '88.

I'll check the dimmer switch first ;Sweet

Thanks for all the replys.
I already though it would be either the headlight or the dimmer switch but I asked here just in case there is another known problem.

Give me some time and I will report back what it was.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, what I forgot to mention: Some time ago the interior lights stopped working. Could there be a relation between them not working and the headlights/high beams ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance