Flatbed truck legal battle!

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OLD BLUE,
I understand. Based on the definition of interstate commerce, so long as you are hauling your own stuff (and not for your business, etc.) no CDL is required under 26,001 pounds. Besides there isn't even a CDL license for under 26,001 pounds except for hazmat or hauling 16 or more people.
Now, I'm not sure how the original poster, Pele, is using his setup. If he has someone elses car on his truck, I'm sure they could argue it was interstate commerce.
Jerry

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
Put a tuff shed with a plastic porta ***** on the back, then a plant hanger so you can hang one of those shower thingy's off of it, and tell them it's a motor home.

Then, check into the vehicle laws, and get the crappiest ricer you can find that's ************, loudest nastiest ************ oilcan exhaust, and drive it around the block a few times a night, with a $19.99 stereo cranked up.

Just don't load it on your truck.....

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be funny if that neighbors car broke down and he came and asked you to haul it for him. Shame you can't since you don't have a tow truck.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Pele,

I love the signs in town that say no thru trucks over 7500 GVWR. The new F150 supercrew has a GVWR of 7700!

For two years I went to school illegally. the road had a 7500 GVWR limit on it and my truck alone weighs 7200 lbs (8600 GVWR). But hey what can you do? :dunno:rotflmao

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that I can think of looking at that truck is Dang it must take about 6 lanes to pull a U turn.

Also, where in Virginia are you located? I used to live in Warrenton before I migrated to BC.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know this is a bit old and would be interesting to hear how it's going, but I do know with my 32ft enclosed carhauler I risk getting pulled over and asked for authority papers with that rig. THey love to pull over guys with carhaulers, to check if they've come back from a race., they will trick them into admitting they are commercial when they aren't. THey will ask if they made any money at the race and if they brought home any of the purse, bam! instant commercial vehicle! Break out the check book. THankfully I don't haul any of those around any more, but I need to get some of those not for hire signs because by beast looks more like a hot shot rig than a pickup and I'm going to get pulled over for running scales one of these days.

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the Woodbridge area

I have figured out who complained. They got a Roundup Balloon in their yard.

Truck is parked at a friend's shop until I swap out the glowplugs, get a quick spray of primer on the bed, and fix the fuel tank senders. Then it goes up on CraigsList.

japar

Reaction score
I was in kinda the same boat, I had my dually and 24' unletterd tag trailer parked in the street next to my house. I came back from the races on Sunday and just didn't take it to my shop till Weds. I got a letter in the mail the following week. Well my truck and trailer is kept at my shop anyway but I did some digging and reading. I read some zoning laws and read about signs. Put a sign on any vehical or trailer and you almost always make it Comm. The only signs allowed in a residential area is a real estate and yard sale sign Needless to say there are lot nonconforming things going on in my town. They usually only do something when there is a comlaint.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the Woodbridge area

I have figured out who complained. They got a Roundup Balloon in their yard.

Truck is parked at a friend's shop until I swap out the glowplugs, get a quick spray of primer on the bed, and fix the fuel tank senders. Then it goes up on CraigsList.

Sounds like the complaintant won.:mad:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I can drive a 2011 peterbuilt 389 with a 53 foot van right now without a CDL and they couldn't touch me as long as I was not getting paid to haul anything.Now you gotta be careful.Paid can mean prices,purses,trade goods,etc.But if I am moving my own stuff they cannot touch me.Commerce is the part that gets ya.Hince "Commerc"ial.But Alabama follows the Federal mandates.Some states add to the restrictions like The Peoples Republik Of Kalifornicate where any vehicle that has more than 3 axles is required to have a CDL reguardless of weight or use(technically my ranger towing a lawn mower on a trailer would require a CDL!),any 2 axle vehicle with a GVW of more than 26K reguardless of use,or towing anything over 10,001lb reguardless of use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online