Firewall reinforcement

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
In preparing for my T19 swap, I am going to need to reinforce my firewall as this was a weakness in these trucks...no flexing yet that I know of since this truck has had an auto all its life. I know that Ford makes a kit for this and perhaps I will be lucky enough to find one in the pull yard, but if I don't I'm really not planning on paying Ford the $200 or so for the firewall fix kit. Is there a way I can make my own? Sheet metal reinforcement or the like? Thanks,
JD

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey all,
In preparing for my T19 swap, I am going to need to reinforce my firewall as this was a weakness in these trucks...no flexing yet that I know of since this truck has had an auto all its life. I know that Ford makes a kit for this and perhaps I will be lucky enough to find one in the pull yard, but if I don't I'm really not planning on paying Ford the $200 or so for the firewall fix kit. Is there a way I can make my own? Sheet metal reinforcement or the like? Thanks,
JD

www.fordparts.com has them as well. To my door was $114 and some change for the last one I did. It was the major kit and was $238 plus shipping at my local stealership. This kit has some pretty complex bends and accessories, I would not try to make one, but that is me. My time is worth something and it would take a while to make this kit. There are a couple of reinforcement plates with the kit as well as a plate or two with welded nuts that just make things go pretty smooth. If you don't have the service article from Ford, let me know. I can send it to you. Shoot me a PM with your email addy and I'll get it right out.

Scott

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My awesome local dealer told me those kits were obsolete.... LOL
All you really need on a truck that's never had a stick, especially if the cowl and it's welds are in good shape is the small kit, or the small piece that came factory on 90(or so)+ trucks that ties both bolts together. That's what I ended up putting on my diesel.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I'd like to mention one of Mel's theories that I think is true. He contends that the root cause of firewall cracking is galling on the shaft that the release bearing slides on. At least it's supposed to slide! If you have ever replaced a clutch in one of these truck and then marveled at the difference in pedal force, you know what I'm talking about. If you are having to press hard, and complain about knee pain etc, you need to grease that sucker! You will eventually crack your firewall because of all that force. It really is a fix for after you have damaged your truck from neglect.

JD- make sure you get a greasable throwout bearing! Hope the rest of the conversion is going well.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Check your local dealer, mine had the "cheap" kit in stock and it was under ten bucks just two months ago. One of the more experienced counter man knew the part number off the top of his head. I was impressed. Ten minutes later it was installed, and it works great.

Wayne

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check your local dealer, mine had the "cheap" kit in stock and it was under ten bucks just two months ago. One of the more experienced counter man knew the part number off the top of his head. I was impressed. Ten minutes later it was installed, and it works great.

Wayne

He knew the part number because he has sold a million of them...I still contend they should have been giving them away and installing them for free!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd like to mention one of Mel's theories that I think is true. He contends that the root cause of firewall cracking is galling on the shaft that the release bearing slides on. At least it's supposed to slide! If you have ever replaced a clutch in one of these truck and then marveled at the difference in pedal force, you know what I'm talking about. If you are having to press hard, and complain about knee pain etc, you need to grease that sucker! You will eventually crack your firewall because of all that force. It really is a fix for after you have damaged your truck from neglect.

JD- make sure you get a greasable throwout bearing! Hope the rest of the conversion is going well.

I won't say a word...:backoff

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only Ford has the greaseable throwout bearing....and they are very proud of them around $108 for a TOB!! Not many around...even Stoner Wade had a tough time tracking one down. Do you have to drop the tranny to replace the TOB? I would rather just replace it here and there than spend that kind of money. Now on the reinforcement kit, at $114 for the big kit and $10 for the small kit it may be money well spend.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Yeah, the throwout bearing is installed around the input shaft...you have to pull the transmission to get at it. The degeneration of performance is gradual, and you develop bigger left leg muscles as you go;Really . The firewall takes the force... Please get a new input bearing retainer or whatever it's called that the bearing slides on. It's held on by 4 bolts to the front of the t-19. I'd gladly pay the dealer $108 to avoid removing the tranny, if you're wondering go lie on your back and benchpress that transmission a few times! Now imagine the awkward confines under the truck with filth falling in your eyes:eek:
Mel claims that you can glob grease on a long stick and kinda lube the bearing thru the inspection plate...my only comment is be neat to avoid getting grease on a friction surface.
I know $$$ is tight, I'd spend the money on the bearing and wait on the firewall kit. You may not need it, and if you do it doesn't require removing the transmission.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahn I think I may spend the money for the greasable bearing then. Fordparts does have it available for a bit less than $108 along with the tach sensor I've been wanting. I think I'll use the small firewall enforcement kit and call it good. Could you please try again to explain to me what this input bearing retainer you speak of is? where it is and what it does on the trans. I'd appreciate it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the throwout bearing is installed around the input shaft...you have to pull the transmission to get at it. The degeneration of performance is gradual, and you develop bigger left leg muscles as you go;Really . The firewall takes the force... Please get a new input bearing retainer or whatever it's called that the bearing slides on. It's held on by 4 bolts to the front of the t-19. I'd gladly pay the dealer $108 to avoid removing the tranny, if you're wondering go lie on your back and benchpress that transmission a few times! Now imagine the awkward confines under the truck with filth falling in your eyes:eek:
Mel claims that you can glob grease on a long stick and kinda lube the bearing thru the inspection plate...my only comment is be neat to avoid getting grease on a friction surface.
I know $$$ is tight, I'd spend the money on the bearing and wait on the firewall kit. You may not need it, and if you do it doesn't require removing the transmission.

Correction.... through the hole the fork goes in. You can try it through the inspection plate if you make a tool, but there is no good way to get the old grease off first. If you have a 9 year old, that makes a great tool to stick in the fork opening. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online