Ferret meters?

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dads timing light doesn't have an advance and I everything I'm seeing online you need an adv timing light and a ferret meter or a pulse meter can't seem to find them how much are they and where do you find them at or is this something you wait a year and consistently watch eBay?

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my advance timing light at harbor freight. Found a snap on used one at a garage sale and they read exactly the same so that works for me! :D

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my advance timing light at harbor freight. Found a snap on used one at a garage sale and they read exactly the same so that works for me! :D
Where did you get your ferret meter at to read off the gas signal to the timing light though?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your ferret meter at to read off the gas signal to the timing light though?

Well... You'll have to check eBay. Ferret went out of business last year or so. There are others that make similar products though.

It's just a "Diesel pulse timing adapter" so you can try searching for that.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... You'll have to check eBay. Ferret went out of business last year or so. There are others that make similar products though.

It's just a "Diesel pulse timing adapter" so you can try searching for that.
+1 What he said. I got in before they quit making them. I thought you were asking about the advance timing light.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys ill take a look just seems like whatever I've typed its all been error 404 or sold out

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dti still makes there own tack-n-time (3300-s) i just bought a whole kit for 469$ which is pricy but i guess thats just part of it at this point still cheaper then the 2 refurb heads i just had to put on that was 700 each. anyone know where the timing is supposed to be at on these engines or have pictures from the manual a youtube video i saw said 10 degrees retarded for N/A and 7 ret for turbo can anyone confirm that?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory timing is 8* BTDC +/- 2*. Each engine has it's own happy place, some more advanced than others.
BTW that spec is 8* advanced, not retarded. Before Top Dead Center