Felt like it lost half the engine

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I don't find anything under the valve cover, I intend to swap #3 and #7 injectors, and see if the error moves. What are the gotchas? I have an IDI where O ring thickness is critical. But a failure there just leaks fuel on the engine that was supposed to return to the tank. On a PSD isn't the high pressure oil one O ring away from the fuel rail?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o-ring failure can put engine oil in the fuel bowl, or diesel in the coolant. However, the engine generally still runs fine aside from oil consumption or degas bottle overflow.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pics below are related to injector #3.

The oil deflector hold down machine screw screwed it self out, jumped out of the deflector, and managed to avoid the gaping holes in the head.

I could only use feel to search for the screw, searched twice without finding it, concluded it was it the pan, but searched one more time and found it laying on the head.

That socket head machine screw has a very narrow clamping surface. And it is trying to clamp aluminum. I am not surprised it came loose.

With the screw gone, the deflector stayed almost in place, but shifted enough to rub on the wiring. The pic shows a large worn area on the glow plug wire and a small worn area on the injector wire. Apparently the deflector would occasionally make momentary contact with the injector wire, which I assume would cause the PCM to shut down that injector supply circuit until it was rebooted.

I think I need to do something different with the deflector hold down screws. I have 271 Locktite. Properly cleaning the female threads would be difficult. I am going to see if I can get some flange head, or at least steel washers to widen the clamping surface on the aluminum.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With proper torque, they shouldn't back off.

I just spent six hours removing the valve covers; a task that I have done before on this engine, but not lately, and don't want to do again, maybe on the side of the road next time.

Because it did, I need to trade "shouldn't" for ain't gona!!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
True. Lol
I would grab a can of brake clean, shove the straw down and each hole and go for it.
Then blue loctite maybe. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then blue loctite maybe. Lol

"The red products are so powerful that they require heat to be disassembled. A primerless grade red threadlocker is also available. Loctite® Blue Threadlocker is of medium strength."

I have red 271. You think I should drop down to blue? I have removed bolts installed with 271. However, they were larger than these and may not have been oil free.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes blue or you will hate yourself later. Only way to get them out is by working on a hot engine

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the saga continues. I installed a gasket combo that does not have an under cover connector. These were "Sold by Auto Parts Direct To You and Fulfilled by Amazon."

In the harness, the second blue wire - which should have been green - in one harness is shorted the the black wire next to it, and in the other harness is shorted to the yellow wire next to it.

Also, in the pigtail, the injector wires do not have the colors in the proper positions.

I have just ordered the same type from two other vendors.

AutoEnginuity correctly pointed me to the original issue and both issues with the replacement harnesses. The error statements were a bit fuzzy, but they got me to look in the right place. An old laptop running WXP and AutoEnginuity stays in that vehicle - never leave home without it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Trying not to be a a-hole here. But......
And the saga continues. I installed a gasket combo that does not have an under cover connector. These were "Sold by Auto Parts Direct To You and Fulfilled by Amazon."
I have just ordered the same type from two other vendors.

No, they are APDTY, which I had never heard of. They cost half as much as Dorman. I have them, and so far am impressed. We will see how well they work.

I hope the gaskets you ordered aren't made by DORMAN

Yes, we have had that discussion. But on a van that is major surgery, and it will need to get in line. I have ordered gaskets that do not have UVC connectors. I safety wired the current set.

I mean, so when are you going to learn to buy motorcraft uvch? After you fry you whole harness? Short some injectors? Fry the idm?

"I bought this cheap part. No way it could be manufactured and shipped for that price, but I'm going to buy it anyways. Oh look, it failed, let me try a few more of the same set."

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79jasper speaks the truth...and I always go with OEM parts (pay me now or pay me later kinda thing)

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, so when are you going to learn to buy motorcraft uvch?

When I find a Motorcraft harness that does not have an undercover connector.

Yes, I can safty wire them. But I want to give the industry a chance to eliminate that issue.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That connector doesn't matter. It was updated by ford quite some time ago. Any issues still seen are the old version.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That connector doesn't matter. It was updated by ford quite some time ago. Any issues still seen are the old version.

Define "quite some time ago". I have four Ford gaskets, including the mate to the one that disconnected in Corpus Christi and the one the Ford dealer there installed. They all appear to be identical. So apparently Ford's "updated" didn't take. And It wasn't long ago that there were discussions about stuffing a quarter in the latch.

Corpus Christi cost me a thousand dollars and two days to get out of town, partially because of the difficulty getting good info quickly. I want to see that connector gone.