Factory amp location

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
My 94 has the premium stereo with a factory amp. Does anyone know where it is located? Radio quit working today, but new headunit and speakers. Headunit still works fine so I think my amp went

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id say look under the seats, they like to place amps there. But im not exactly sure where it is.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
If its the same as my 97 its on the driverside of the dash, kinda under the radio. Follow the harness from the radio and you should find it.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
You can visit an electronics store and purchase a bypass harness if you don't want to use the factory amp anymore. My suggestion would be to follow the wiring harness from the radio to the amp itself.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
"Works! I know this post is older, but if anyone else comes across it in their search for a fix to the same issue, read this thread from start to finish. On the 96 F250, You'll see the factory AMP located under the dash above and just right of the gas pedal. (Somewhere in that area) Another sure way to find it is moving the factory in-dash wiring harness for the head unit around. You'll see the proper harness moving under the dash and you will see that it plugs in to the silver factory AMP. However, if you are lucky enough, you don't even need to see where this is located. If your head unit has the remote wire (blue) just hook it up to the blue remote wire on the wiring harness you purchased to install your new head unit. (Should be marked AMP). Basically, just hook the head unit up to the aftermarket harness you purchased, not leaving anything out and don't leave the remote unhooked as you normally would without needing to power another device. Hook the remote up as if you were sending an on/off signal to your aftermarket AMP for subs. No different. bad12jr shows an excellent illustration of the after market harness in this thread and is dead on with his instruction. Like he says, if it will not work straight up, wire the blue to the red. Just make sure, somehow, that your factory AMP is powering off when you turn the vehicle off. "

Found on another forum, hope this helps

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
I did wire it right, just hope it is a loose wire or Plug. Before I would hit a bump and volume would change. Well I hit a pothole today( imagine that) and it got quiet and then nothing

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is straight up from the throttle pedal. Silver box about 6x8. Has 2 plugs going into it. They are a common thing to go bad on the premium sound system. Collis sells the for $35 when they have them

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I had an issue like that in my '86 - turned out to be my "key on" wire was too small for the load the radio was drawing....ran a thicker wire and problem solved. It was strange how it worked!

I would hit a bump and it would shut off or flash - if I tried turning it up more, it would shut off or stop playing.

Just something else to think about.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
It is straight up from the throttle pedal. Silver box about 6x8. Has 2 plugs going into it. They are a common thing to go bad on the premium sound system. Collis sells the for $35 when they have them

Thanks brad, will call around

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online