Extra fuel tank

GlennO

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding an extra fuel tank in the bed of my 2002 p/u.
My question is: can fuel flow on its onw into the main tank thru a fitting installed on the filler neck? Or dose it have to be pumped with a fuel pump?

Is there a vent on my main tank so fuel will run in or is it a pressure system?

Thanks

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe in most states, if not all of them, free flow is illegal. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been done. It should have a seperate pump. That's how Transfer Flow tanks work. It senses the level in the main tank and pumps from the aux to fill the main back up.

There is a vent on the main tank.

MUDDY

Reaction score
for the last many trucks i have used gravity flow with no probs. got nipple from botttom of ttank. a t in vent hose or nipple in fill filler, filters and a valve and yer done. the t-flow is big money

Whit

Reaction score
Law??? Where???

I have a 60 gal toolbox tank combo in the bed and it is my main source of fuel that feeds my supply pump(old lift pump) that is mounted on the frame rail under the tank, my oem tank is in use as an aux tank , I mounted a small $30 pump on the frame rail and a switch in the cab to transfer fuel with. Best mod on the truck so far as my old l/p now has a possitive head and is no longer pulling fuel up 2 feet and from 12 feet away.

Vacumn sucks........positive head rules :)

Can you say bye-bye to l/p problems?

Cheers, Kevin

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing illegal with the the way yours is set up Kevin. But a gravity feed from a aux tank into the main tank is illegal in most states.

Whit

Reaction score
Originally posted by Stoked
There is nothing illegal with the the way yours is set up Kevin. But a gravity feed from a aux tank into the main tank is illegal in most states.

Did I mention I have a new tap off the bottom of the tank and I have 1psi static pressure before you turn the key on :cool :thanks:

Cheers, Kevin

GlennO

Reaction score
Most semi's garavity feed from one tank to anthor.
Wonder how they are getting away with that?
Must be a lot of law breakers :(

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Most semi's garavity feed from one tank to anthor.
Wonder how they are getting away with that?"

Actually, many semis do run gravity feed from one tank to another. They usually isolate the flow direction with solenoids. Also, many of the semis are actually using a balancing system between the tanks. In effect, making them one tank. But then again, these are side by side. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online