Engine Timing and Lack of Black SMOKE (NOT Looking to get Black smoke....just read)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to have a good ear for timing, honed by at least being around some well running IDI trucks, but preferably years of working on them, even at that you can be a degree or so off. Better is to snag an old snap on MT254or 257 or a new Ferret pulse adapter coupled with an adjustable strobe timing light. In SE Alabama you're probably not too far from Pensacola Diesel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dime's thickness is probably about 1 degree's worth of dynamic timing. Adjust the timing only when the engine is off and from the front of the engine twisting the pump to the pass. side advances it, twisting it toward the drivers side.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
JD
I think I may end up going to Pensacola Diesel. Its only 3 hours drive from me.

It'll have to wait though since I am going on a 3 week all expense paid camping/survival/resistance training camp on Monday......not fun....

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
trust me when you get hit the first time and cant hit back it takes the man out of you!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Its all training though. If I had to do what McCain did in real life....I wouldnt have been able.....enough said....

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I am doing a search now for the directions for setting the timing. If it is not posted here, by tonight, if someone else finds it, post it up...

SWS

snoredog

Reaction score
Ok I was thinking timing too. I know the M35 we bought a while back from DRMO seems like the timing is retarded. My dad drives a tanker for a living and he said the smoke and lack of power points toward that. My guess is that anything the government uses would be tuned down to a certain degree foe liability reasons. Think of the damage you could do with a 14,000lb street rod...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online