engine swap 6.9 -7.3

promustangman

Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help again

My 84 extra cab 6.9 with c6 auto is now popping freeze plugs we believe its a bad head gasket rebuilt the oil cooler and put several hundred miles on it before this happened now I know the previous owner ran it hot .

Any ways I found a 7.3 out of an 87 f250 that had a manual trans with about 90k miles on it

My question is will I have any problems doing this swap . Can I just take the flexplate and all off the 6.9 and put it on the 7.3 or is that how they balance the engine..

Is there any other problems I might run into ??

Thanks Guys
:hail:hail:hail

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it will work you just have to change the flywheel and a 1987 is still the 6.9 the 88 was the first year for the 7.3. What is the manual trans i may be interested in it.

promustangman

Reaction score
6.9-7.3 Swap

He already sold the trans. I can get the motor Cheap . Less that what it will cost me in Gaskets .

I would rather swap it then rebuild it at this time . I need to get the truck back on the road.

He says its a 7.3 I didnt ask if he had swapped it out in his,

Thanks

sootman73

Reaction score
the 7.3 and 6.9 are the same motor on the outside. the inside has different boring of course and the 7.3l has bigger head bolts but thats really about it. should go right in for ya.

promustangman

Reaction score
I am mainly worried about the ring gear since the 6.9 is auto and the "7.3" is a manual
Reading through the tech section I see there are different ones for these engines. I am hoping its actually a 6.9 and that everything will just bolt together .

Otherwise I will have to find a ring gear -flexplate to fit a 7.3 and i believe they all came with e40d trans+manuals and flexplate might not fit inside my c6 trans.

Thats what I am worried about right now.:dunno I had similar problems with my mustang swaps I have done in the past.

Thanks Guys!!

sootman73

Reaction score
i would just take them both off and compare the diameter of the flywheel to the flexplate. it should be the same size IIRC.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As towcat said it is a direct bolt in. Quit thinking about it and do it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me repeat the above. It will just bolt in. You can use the flexplate from your truck on the "new" motor without issue. I've done the same with my '86. I have a 7.3 with a 6.9 flywheel, clutch, and other accessories.

Heath

promustangman

Reaction score
Well I was a little slow getting back to the guy and he sold it .. Bummer

anyways looks like I gotta pull that oil cooler off and replace that freeze plug behind it clean everything out and see what happens..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin