Engine Knock

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend. He recently bought an '03 3500 single wheel with the SO Cummins and 5-speed. Last night we were driving around with the windows down and I noticed a pronounced knock. We talked about it, and the knock only happens at lower RPMs (I'd say around 1500-1800 if I had to venture a guess) when the engine is not under load, i.e. when under gentle acceleration. He said that this has been going on for a few weeks now, but he hasn't noticed a loss of fuel mileage or power. the engine is all stock with only 18k miles on it.

It sounds like he getting some piston slap, or maybe a dead cylinder, or a stuck valve or something. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

[><]

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we've had alot of these coming into the dealership....the camshaft gear/sprcket starts rubbing the timing cover...there is no fix, we've put camshafts/gears/covers...still there, as the engine wears in..its happening to all of em. my suggestion, dont worry about it..run it. if something is wrong there is a 100k warranty on the cummins..like i said..no fix, even chrysler has a tsb on it, they are calling it normal as the engine wears in.

Whit

Reaction score
I would still run the valves to make sure they are within tolerance, 10 intake and 20 exhaust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online