Engine dies with throttle

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Today I'm working on one the work trucks. It's a 94 f350 single cab and chassis tow truck. 2wd e4od.

Problem
Startes and idles good but when you hit the throttle or use the manual end of it on the injection pump the rpms will drop slightly then the engine will slowly gain rpms and it will climb up to where you want it to. Then when you left off the throttle the rpms will drop and the truck will instantly die. Not sputter no nothing just death. But will fire up and idle as soon as you can turn the key. Has a newer fuel filter and new glow plugs. The truck will do the same thing in gear but will move and drive. Truck has 179xxx miles on it. Anyone know the possible issue? I cant figure it out.

gandalf

Reaction score
My first guess would be the metering valve in the ip. It sounds like that valve is sticking. Is the IP original? If so, that's a lot of miles.

For the immediate cure, try filling the fuel filter with transmission fluid. Start the engine and let it run until you hear it sound s bit different. Shut the engine off and let it sit for a day. Then start it and drive it like you stole it. That process will frequently clean the metering valve.

Even if it does, that's a lot of miles on an original IP.