Engine compartment relay question

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
Working on Rose's truck (99 F350 Powerstroke, crew cab dually) to sell it. I was up in this forum a few years ago trying to figure out a weird draw issue when parked that would kill her batteries after just a week or two of sitting. It was always pulling 350 mA.

It's still doing that, but I got around it by installing a battery tender for her so she kept it plugged in with no worries.

Back at it now that I'm trying to sell it for her.

Still pulling 350 mA when parked (even after one hour of sitting there undisturbed).

If I pull these 2 relays:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The current draw drops down to under 100 mA (which seems more reasonable (On edit: after sitting for an hour with both relays out the draw drops down to 18 mA...way more reasonable even than 100)). I have a Haynes manual & the owners manual but nothing in either (that I can find of course) tells me what those are.

I pulled them, fired up the truck, tested everything I could think of while it was in the driveway and everything seemed to work -cuss

These are both 30A relays. Does anybody have any idea what they are for? :dunno

I'm also working on why the AC compressor isn't working. I can jumper the switch on the compressor & force the clutch to pull in. I don't know if these 2 items are related.

Thanks in advance! ;Sweet

Last edited:

oregon-mike

Reaction score
the relays i believe are for the trailer lights.

I'll take a look tomorrow after work & see if I have power to the rear trailer plug with these removed. If that is them, there's something wonky going on...shouldn't be pulling 350 mils when there's nothing plugged in to the trailer plug.

Thanks! ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you sure the relays arent sticking on?try replaceing them.

may sound wierd but a but wire can cause a draw.if it has a voltage leak to ground itll be enough to drain the battery.i havent seen this happen alot.seen it a few times though.