Electric fuel pump, ultimate topic...?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Search isnt working for me ATM, but i was wondering what all is needed for the electric pump conversion. in my brief search i seen people mention an additonal filter, oil pressure saftey switch and other assorted goods...

but, is there a thread or can someone assist in making this the ultimatr e-pump thread and move it to the tech section? i didnt see it when i looked.

my questions are, what is the OPSS for?
is the extra filter head really neccessary?
the best way to bypass/block off or remove the factory set up (i know one needs a BBC block off plate).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The oil pressure switch cuts off the fuel pump if you get in a wreck so you aren't squirting fuel on a fire, if there is one. Usually now a big problem with disesls, but possible. You have to rig it to where it bypasses the oil switch when the key is in the start position or your fuel pump won't allow you to start .

If using a holly, mallory, carter etc Electric pump, you need a pre filter or you can suck up some debris from the tank and the pump will lock up leaving you dead in the water, of course if you get a Facet Duralift, you don't have to worry, they come with a seperator bowl and a pre filter screen built in with the added benefit of being able to mount the thing up high under the hood where you can get to it to clean out the screen, where all other pumps must be mounted below tank level down on the frame.
Unlike the speed shop pumps, the Duralift is a commercial duty diesel lift pump, factory equipment on Thermoking and Carrier ****** units.

------Robert

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Search isnt working for me ATM, but i was wondering what all is needed for the electric pump conversion. in my brief search i seen people mention an additonal filter, oil pressure saftey switch and other assorted goods...

but, is there a thread or can someone assist in making this the ultimatr e-pump thread and move it to the tech section? i didnt see it when i looked.

my questions are, what is the OPSS for?

If you are in a wreck or overturn and don't shut off your key, you could pump the contents of you tank out if a leak were to occur. The safety switch kills your fuel pump when there is no oil pressure (mine is 7 PSI).

is the extra filter head really neccessary?

No, not really, just good insurance against particulate entering your expensive electric pump. I have a filter clog on mine, after changing it, I cut the filter open and found lots of nasties that would have ruined my fuel pump. I had just put a new front tank on (rear was also new, but metal and had been on for sometime) a plastic one and the shavings from where they cut the holes and such were in the filter. I would have assumed they would have flushed the tank after doing the cut-outs, but I guess they left it to me to do that!

the best way to bypass/block off or remove the factory set up (i know one needs a BBC block off plate).

Remove the pump, install the mentioned BBC plate. Some just put a piece of hose accross the two lines. If I were doing that, I would use fuel injection hose, but it really isn't needed as fuel pressure shouldn't be that high. I ran russell pro flex from my pump to the 7.3 filter head I installed to get a water separator and filter all in one unit. Works like a charm, but is costly!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, the filter is not needed. The Holley Red has a screen in it. Its called a flame arrester but it stops the crap. Insatll it about 12 inches in front of the tanks changeover switch. This means between the switch and the motor. You'll see some bolt holes already drilled in the frame for just this location. Now use about 18 to 24 inches of discharge hose and mount the red(if thats what you are using) with about 1/4 inch thick rubber. The red is a noisy pump. The chevy big block mechanical pump cover is easy to find and install. As for the hard line going from the old pump to the filter housing I just used more rubber hose there. Use enough so that it makes a slight coil for the motor movement. Or you can just run rubber hose from the hard line to the filter head. Use only diesel rated fuel line...... Do not leave the old mechanical upmp in the fuel system. If you try to push fuel thru it and the diaphram breaks the oil pan fills with diesel... Then you need another motor because of fuel diluted motor oil scoring all the bearings and cylinders....

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
well that isnt to bad then, heh.

got some $$ coming from income tax and figured i might as well spend it wisely instead of silly things for myself, LOL.