Electric fans---update on performance...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Seeing that summer is once again beating us with what appears to be a another record in high temps---we are going to triple digits this weekend :eek:

And seeing a renewed interest in electric fans on the forums, I thought it appropriate to update you guys on my systems performance :D

Yesterday was 93 deg with brutal humidity and I had to run a couple counties over towing 4 k on a trailer--not a huge load by any stretch but loaded none the less...

hit I-40 about 4:30 pm and locked the cruise at 70 with the air on MAX and let her eat.

I have just recently put "newer" tires on and gone up to 315/75/16 Pro Comp AT [still on stock fact alloys BTW :D] and the operating conditions for the 300,251 miles on engine and 4.10 LS gearing and 203 t/stat were as follows....

Road speed 70 mph at 2650 turns and coolant was 210 to 215 deg and would naturally climb when I hit a long grade or over pass, then settle back.

Well...seeings that I had a good opportunity for a test, when the temp gauge rose above 215 deg I would switch on the fans--both on high speed.

Well...at 70 and even 75 mph those fans actually brought the temp back down to 210 degrees ;Sweet
So the thought that electric are useless at highway speeds is proven wrong...at least at this load and conditions.

But as I stated in my orig build....this design probably will not work for those hauling max GVW on a reg basis...but appears to be a possible solution to those who tow reasonable weights occasionally and want to try running electric fans :D

My only real concern was my tranny temp...after 80 miles it was at 210 deg---the hottest I have ever seen it :eek:...altho I have heard the ZF's tend to run hot :dunno

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
I really appreciate this info. I have built the elec fan set-up following your pictures and write up to the enineth degree. Other things have been in the way and have noot got it into the truck yet but the shroud/windstar in complete with both motors and ready for the install. I feel great knowing how well this is going to work. Although I have never had a heat problem, I am chasing mpg. But here in mid Georgia we do have , as in the last few days, 98 plus temps. Again , thanks for the mod and the support info.
Foxman