EGT temps?? am I runnin lean? what u runnin??

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well with the pyrometer installed....Im gettin an idea of the engine...
EDIT..its s 6.9 NA motor...no turbo yet...

the highest temp I've got has been 994,,,and lemme tell ya...thats the HARDEST I've EVER pushed that motor!!...ever....full throttle assult on a 3 mile grade....empty...

highway flat cruisin...400-450....
pullin normal hill around here...500-570...
idle and startup/warmup...175-200..

is it me..or am i runnin it underfueld???...the full throttle assult did get some light grey smoke..nothin major...

now I've got oversized tires..but it kinda seemes too doggy even to me...

wadaythink?? whats yer temps?? (BTW..the unit is AWSOME!!)...

off to go see about turing the fuel up!!;Really

EDIT...

this pyrometer
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23652

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Where's the thermocoupler at? Is it in the exhaust manifold?

The highest I have seen was 1200*, it just wont go over that. That was on a couple mile grade WOT, started at 45mph at the bottom, and was around 75mph at the top. Around 7psi of boost.

I would say that you have some room to turn it up a little.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely ever see anything over 600. But, I run empty all the time. I've never, ever, had to back off the throttle because of EGT's...........never.:dunno

Heath

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's the thermocoupler at? Is it in the exhaust manifold?

between #3 and 4 on driverside manifold...drilled and tapped the castiron right above the drop for the exhaust pipe (van diffrent than truck)...probably the most accurate place....dam..cant find pic...get one monday...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say you can turn the pump up a bit, start with one flat of the screw (60 degrees) and see what that gives you. My truck when I got it wouldn't make any smoke at all, and it didn't feel too strong either, so I turned the pump up one flat, and now it pulls much stronger, and still don't make clouds of smoke (which I don't want anyways). I turned the pump down 30 degrees at some point, but then a week later I had it back up to 60 degrees, truck seems happy there and I'm happy with the power and fuel economy too. Another thing to look into may be advancing the pump a tiny bit, especially if it blows some grey smoke while warming up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely ever see anything over 600. But, I run empty all the time. I've never, ever, had to back off the throttle because of EGT's...........never.:dunno

Heath

I can fix that. Bruwahahahahhaha! :D

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say you can turn the pump up a bit, start with one flat of the screw (60 degrees) and see what that gives you. My truck when I got it wouldn't make any smoke at all, and it didn't feel too strong either, so I turned the pump up one flat, and now it pulls much stronger, and still don't make clouds of smoke (which I don't want anyways). I turned the pump down 30 degrees at some point, but then a week later I had it back up to 60 degrees, truck seems happy there and I'm happy with the power and fuel economy too. Another thing to look into may be advancing the pump a tiny bit, especially if it blows some grey smoke while warming up.

I had already turned it up one flat about 2 months after I got her...turned her 2 flats lastnight...and copied the "timing" how-to for tonights adventure...

gonna see what it does!!..I KNOW it can make more power just from the 7.3's we have at work...she's kinda like a I6 thats runnin midgrade gas...not bad..but I know theres more...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can fix that. Bruwahahahahhaha! :D

I'm really itching to mess with the fuel screw on that IP. I've called Ken a few times and left messages, I've PM'ed him and so on with no response. He told me not to adjust the fuel screw without talking to him first............well, I can't get the guy to answer.

What ya think........Give it a flat or two?;Really -Flame Thr

Heath

Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all I gotta say is

WOW!!

turned the fuel up...and rotated the IP...ended up lineing the marks up..they were 1/8th in off...

and it runs like a scalded dog!!!...

WOT (wide open throttle) assults resulted in 900* and some good smoke (nothing too rediculous...but ya can tell its got enough fuel now!!)

oh..and found out that even though it has a new throttle cable..it wasnt openin the "go" valve all the way...so a little bending of the bracket and it goes 98% of the way open...

now it drives like my 460 used to!!...(sofar)...

at least it feels like it after driving my power-lacking 08 wrangler...(that needs a oilburner REALLY BAD!!)

but alas...the brakes gremlin has gotten me again...I think Im gonna save my pennies and get the rear disk conversion this winter and throw it on there...the drums keep blowin cylinders and leakin fluid out...and my proportioing valve might be bad...****** me off...too much money in the brakes to have them fail so often (usually the backs leakin..and I adjust them manualy all the dang time!!)

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...got the brakes fixed.,...only to loose the outter pass wheelbearing from tightining it down too far..and had the axle walk with the tire...did manage to save it...(my 4yr old was asleep in the van when it happend...

and I gotta turn the pump back a bit...its got the ball bearing in a box sound...and smokes a little TOO much for my liking....

just gotta order a new locknut..the old one and the bearing had to hacksawed off and hand filed to get the new one on...(in a parkinglot...man Im so spoiled with power tools I forgot how much WORK wrenchin is supposed to be!!)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to think it should be set with tools. I think since you live in OH there would be a few BOOBs close enough to help you do it right...not sure though. If not its well worth the 1/2-hr to hr of lbor at an injection shop that really uses tools to set timing... make sure they do that first though. If its by ear you can probably do just as well, but for that it helps to know what a properly timed IDI should sound like. Apparently a lot of us are running around with slightly retarded timing which is really not hurting the motor but may hurt fuel mileage and or emissions and power.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish mine wouldnt go above 900 degrees, ive gotten mine to !!!!1400!!!!! and i still have more throttle to go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin