EGR assassination plans?

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Does anyone know what exactly has to be done to remove the EGR cooler and plug it up and reinstall it? I have a friend that desperately wants me to do this to his 03 but I really don't know what's involved. Never had any want or desire to dive into a 6.0 but he's really persistent! I have machine shop and a full complement of welders at my disposal so IM not really worried about the tools needed just the procedure and the best way to go about this without ******* off the ECM. Also this is a CA emissions truck.

And lord Lester has deemed talking about killing the Egr as a sin.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
First of all shut the truck off and then unplug it drive it for awhile like that to see how the truck reacts. Some react poorly some run better.

FLRin29

VIRUS FREE!
Reaction score
My suggestion is get a hold of an SCT dealer.They can program an EGR delete.That way the ECM stays happy,
and he can bump up HP,at the same time,if he wants.

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
First of all shut the truck off and then unplug it drive it for awhile like that to see how the truck reacts. Some react poorly some run better.

This is the best advice. My truck runs like crap with it unplugged - and my mileage goes way downhill - by 5mpg or more. Acceleration is poor and will blow white smoke on start up. The colder it is the more it sucks.

So - unplug it and try it out first to make sure it's what he really really really wants to do first.

I know it sucks to even have them in the first place. I'll live with mine and just pull and clean it every 15/20K miles when it's out of warranty.

Ron

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing this mod to help keep the coolant temps down and the coolant in the degas bottle where it belongs. I wonder if I could just slip a thin piece of sheet metal at the inlet to the egr cooler.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I cant remeber were i seen it but they cut the pipe going from the uppipe to the cooler and welded both ends shut, Have to remove the turbo thoe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7