E4OD rebuild

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever rebuilt a E4od at home??? Ive done a Transverse GM tranny without too much issue, except for a warped valve body. So Im willing to venture into this Ford unit... theres at least one tool I see I should get.. Such as E4OD / 4R100 Rear Assembly Installation Tool
From what Ive read you pretty much need that one... Priced out the rebuild kit, upgrades, and TC today and its about $1k vs the same tranny with those parts rebuilt is $1700... Time is of the essence, but also the extra $700 could come in handy for other truck goodies...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The special tools are whats gonna break ya. I am certified in Saturn transmission diag and repair (some GM) and I worked on a few while I was at Ford, but when it comes to my truck trans, I have a good shop that does that work. There are lots of upgrades that need to be done to bring an older E4od up to strength, as well as some valvebody mods(like full time converter lube)
If you get a good shop manual and the right tools, you might be able to do it ok. But then IF something goes wrong a month down the road, who has to fix it?
My advise is to find a good driveline shop that understands what you need the truck to do and have them build one to suit w/ waranty.
My first E4OD rebiuld was $2000. But 3 years later When it needed "freshened up" It only cost $700.