E4od dead time for a rebuild need some input

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week while on the return trip home from camping the e4od in the wife's 94 turbo decided to commit suicide... Trans overheated and started puking oil out of the dipstick which actually ignited on the exhaust and started a small fire that I quickly got put out. Pulling the trans Sunday if I get time at the shop to find out the full extent of the damage, but while it's out I want to build it up. Truck tows a 36ft camper regularly and other trailers ranging from 8-15k what's the best parts to use for heavy hauling. ZF5 swap is not entirely out of the question but would rather keep the auto wife doesn't like driving manual much and it is her truck
You must be registered for see images attach

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Starting from the valve body. TransGo Tugger kit, use the whole kit.
Not knowing what the internals are. Many early E4s used aluminum planet carriers. Toss them if equipped. Use a six planet low/reverse set. Six planet forward gear set.
Update the spags.
Update the center support in not done. Better yet have the center support machined to except a stabilizer ring. This is a must do in extreme duty applications.
Add more steels and frictions to OD,forward and direct clutch packs.

Replace the front pump seal with a Viton replacement seal.

Use a good quality multi disk torque converter.
Finish it up with a larger axillary cooler. True Cool by Long is very good.

There are other parts that can be added to make this tranny totally bullet proof. Depends on how much you want to spend.:D

Don't forget to replace the O ring in your dipstick tube.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy I know that works at the Ford dealer and also has his own shop claims the Ford dealer is one of the best places to get a rebuilt E4OD and is the only place he gets them from. He said their price is reasonable, all the rebuilds are updated to 95+ spec'ed internals, and you can't beat the warranty. Just what I heard, no actual experience.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Improving the stock converter to a triple disc converter is the better ideas. Improving the center support bearing is another must do as is increasing the aux trans cooler. Sadly the stock converters have only 25 square inches of friction material but they work well. The triple disc converter has 150 square inches of friction material. Our engines will never destroy a triple disc converter but they sure will run better. Another great idea is to install a Mag Hitech trans oil pan. They have a temp port and increase the atf capacity by 2 gallons..:eek::thumbsup: I have one and its better than sliced bread. I check the level about once a year and it have not changed. I tell myself I can loose 2 gallons of atf before I start having any issues. Now if I loose anywhere near that much I'm sure I will see it in plenty of time by the cloud out the back.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
A guy I know that works at the Ford dealer and also has his own shop claims the Ford dealer is one of the best places to get a rebuilt E4OD and is the only place he gets them from. He said their price is reasonable, all the rebuilds are updated to 95+ spec'ed internals, and you can't beat the warranty. Just what I heard, no actual experience.

Best bang for the buck is a factory rebuilt to HD spec. You have to ask for it, otherwise you will get a generic rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online