E40D problems

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to need to change my transmission pretty soon. 1st gear is not liking the start-off thing, must have something to do with my right foot and the black soot going out the tailpipe. :angel:

I've got a guy who can rebuild for me, but I don't know what parts to order right now. He works at the local FORD heavy truck dealer, but I'm not sure he knows how to make this tranny work better than stock.

Ggg

Reaction score
My best guess is that a Ford tech will do a stock rebuild. There are quite a few hard part upgrades that can be done to improve on the factory setup that are not offered through Ford

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recomendations (which, taken with $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee) would be to upgrade the TC, do a shift kit and pump mod, new clutches at a bare minimum. Richter69 could probably set you up with all the performance parts you need for a decent price and then your tech could do the work for you. Check your PM box.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
My tech has 23 transmissions in front of me right now, so I called ATS and should have a tranny next weekend or the following week. Kind of pricey, but the other alternative was having a work truck that would be down while I waited for a re-build.

The third alternative was to buy a new truck, which with my current parameters for a new truck would surpass 50,000.00. :puke:

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Transmission is on the way. I have a new V-10 tranny cooler, and Bob Riley's external transmission filter system on the way.

Are there any other items that I need for the tranny swap? I've heard that the stock torque convertor uses nuts, and I might need to buy some bolts for the new convertor. I don't know, but I'm gonna call ATS today about the bolts. Is there a gasket between the transfer case and the tranny? I assume so, just need to know what all the little stuff is that I need to have.

Ggg

Reaction score
The stock converter does use nuts. My BTS converter needed bolts so I would assume an ATS one would too. Locltite would be a good idea too. Yes there is a gasket for the t-case about $6 at Ford. I recommend Schaffers trans fluid if ATS does not specify one. Start now by spraying the selector switch with WD-40 it can be rather difficult to get off the gear selector shaft. A 36-48" long 1/2" drive extension with a swivel socket is good for getting to the bell housing bolts from under the truck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you havent done it already,i highly recomend replaceing the stock downpipe with a 3" while the tranny is out.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
if you havent done it already,i highly recomend replaceing the stock downpipe with a 3" while the tranny is out.

I guess I should put all of the mods in my signature here. ;Really :angel:

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Ggg said:
The stock converter does use nuts. My BTS converter needed bolts so I would assume an ATS one would too. Locltite would be a good idea too. Yes there is a gasket for the t-case about $6 at Ford. I recommend Schaffers trans fluid if ATS does not specify one. Start now by spraying the selector switch with WD-40 it can be rather difficult to get off the gear selector shaft. A 36-48" long 1/2" drive extension with a swivel socket is good for getting to the bell housing bolts from under the truck.

It just occured to me that the ATS convertor should come already bolted up to the built transmission.

Ggg

Reaction score
Torque converters do not bolt up to the trans at all, they just silp into the pump drive. So be careful not to tilt the trans while installing it otherwise the converter will just slide right out. The torque converter bolts up to your flex plate on the engine.
Good point 94f450sd while the trans is out is the best time to replace the down pipe, and the up-pipe dounuts if they are leaking. The turbo is easy to get at as well.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Ggg said:
Torque converters do not bolt up to the trans at all, they just silp into the pump drive. So be careful not to tilt the trans while installing it otherwise the converter will just slide right out. The torque converter bolts up to your flex plate on the engine.
Good point 94f450sd while the trans is out is the best time to replace the down pipe, and the up-pipe dounuts if they are leaking. The turbo is easy to get at as well.

There is some good INTEL. :eek: I learned something new today.

Torque convertor comes with bolts according to Tech Support. ;Sweet

Last edited:

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Looks like I need to eyeball the up-pipes to see if I need to replace them. This tranny swap keeps getting more expensive.

Ggg

Reaction score
Glad we all could help. IIRC the stock Ford donuts are not the best to use. I remember that GM makes some that are thicker and thus tighter fitting and are graphite impregnated so they move with the pipes better then the white Ford donuts. But I can't remember the part #.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Tranny swap done. Have some more work to do, but she is driveable.