E350 15 passenger Van Questions

RedTruck

Reaction score
Looking at a van purchase for a family vehicle.

Can someone either talk me off the edge or give me a good reason to go forward with it?

The van is a 88 with 460 C6 2wd. I have 6.9 which I would eventually plan to replace the 460 with. I would also like to find the items to make it manual. I understand that on this particular van I don't need a whole new pedal assembly...clutch pedal integrates with existing system + master/slave/doghouse/etc. I'm hoping you all could provide commentary not totally related to the conversion. In particular I'm wondering:

1. I have heard will get stuck in wet grass...let alone snow. Can I make it a lot better with some sort of locker as opposed to making it 4wd? I'd like to maintain some mileage.
2. Anyone had kids and used a van? Suggestions on seat arrangements? Bench/Captains seats? How do these seats work with Child seats?
3. Any particular item I should look at closely? What are problem areas for vans?
4. I have never thought of a van until recently. Aging family and small kids...I'm thinking of a hunting/camping vehicle along with something that can be used to haul wheelchairs etc. I've always owned a pickup. Can someone that has done this give me pros and cons?

Would really appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks

Paul

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really liked the vans I have had. With decent tires, my van did great in the snow and that was with an open differential. However, tall, wet field grass while parked on the side of a hill did render it stuck one time. Under the same conditions, a 2wd pickup probably wasn't going anywhere either. Tall, wet grass can be quite slippery....like wet leaves on the road.

A little while later (after the wet grass ordeal) I installed a Detroit Locker. I am currently in the process of transferring the Detroit Locker from my old van to my new (to me) van. You can't beat a Detroit Locker.

Dave

RedTruck

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

I was hoping someone would say that. I have been leaning towards a Ox Box, just because I can lock and unlock as I prefer. I was surprised to see a D60 under the van.

You noticed a significant difference with the locker though?

Thanks again.

Paul

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might check local laws...in CA, you need a Class B CDL to drive a vehicle that holds more than 10 people, although that may not apply if it's a personal vehicle being used for non-commercial purposes.

Beyond that, I say go for it ;Sweet I loved my old van...unless you're going to be towing with it, I would recommend 3.54 gears, and limited slip is always a good idea...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if ypu get it don't run passenger car tires on it cause they are cheaper. get the proper LT tires

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As much as I hate shushboxes, have you seriously thought about what you would have to do to run a shifter in that thing for a zf5? Yeah, I know... This comming from a guy who has an auxilliary box mounted 2 feet from the diff LOL But seriously, you are going to have a heck of a time rigging that shifter..
Might want to seriously consider regearing the tail end tall and popping an Allison box in it for durability and simplicity

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate shushboxes, have you seriously thought about what you would have to do to run a shifter in that thing for a zf5? Yeah, I know... This comming from a guy who has an auxilliary box mounted 2 feet from the diff LOL But seriously, you are going to have a heck of a time rigging that shifter..
Might want to seriously consider regearing the tail end tall and popping an Allison box in it for durability and simplicity
I recall someone posting a picture of the interior of a van that was factory-equipped with a 5 speed (I don't remember whether it was a ZF or the light-duty Mazda box). IIRC the gearshift lever came through right at the bottom of the doghouse.

I've always thought a diesel van with a 5 speed would be fun :angel:

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Living in the desert southwest, I haven't had the opportunity to drive my van on tall wet grass. But, we do get 11" of snow a year, sometimes much more than that, and the nearby mountains get much much more snow.

My E350, extended-length, with raised roof, weighes around 6500 lbs empty. It does just fine in snow, better than a lot of the lightweight little cars I've seen stuck in the snow. I could easily add a few hundred lbs of weight in the very aft end to get more traction from the rear wheels if I was going up into the mountains, or add tire chains. It does as well as a 2wd pickup.

I've been driving E350s for eight years. The only problem I've had that was factory related, was the ceiling lights would sometimes come on when shut down, draining the battery. I replaced the factory switch, which solved the problem. Any other issues were related to poor maintenance.

My first van, a 1992, was an accidental purchase at an auction. I paid $600, didn't want it, so I decided to beat that crap out of it, then junk it. I used it to pull down trees, rip out chain-link fences, haul firewood, heavy safes, tow disabled vehicles, etc. It did everything just fine. Actually, it did everything I'd use a pickup for, and a whole lot more. I added a wheelchair lift for hauling really heavy stuff, and laid 5/8"" plywood on the factory floor.

The only thing I did for maintenance was change the fluids and grease the zerks.

Most trucks have 8 ft or smaller beds. My van can hold 12ft long objects with the rear doors closed. The raised roof & extended length adds a HUGE amount of extra space, and allows me to stand up inside. Mine has the raised doors, so I can haul oversized stuff like matresses easily. I traveled the U.S. in a regular size van years ago. It quickly became very cramped, and miserable. It was smaller than a jail cell. I've done the same in my oversize van, and the extra space makes a huge difference. A full size bed, lots of storage space, room for cooking, and relaxing. The entire rear area was enclosed for privacy, but it doesn't look like a camper from the outside, so I could park it almost anywhere overnight and not get hassled by the cops.

If you need a wheelchair lift for a disabled person, most handicapped parking spaces are designed for vehicles using side mounted lifts, not rear mounted ones.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might check local laws...in CA, you need a Class B CDL to drive a vehicle that holds more than 10 people, although that may not apply if it's a personal vehicle being used for non-commercial purposes.

The part holds true that you do not need a passenger endorsement (not class b) if it is for personal use in CA. It also makes it nice that if someone wants to borrow it they need the passenger endorsement even if hauling less than the 10 people. :sly

Less problems saying "NO".

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting the baby/kid seats for me is easier with captains than the bench seats. You can really see that the baby/kid seat is held on tight. I used the bench seat in the two door Bronco and it kind of sucks (not to mention getting in there to begin with!). Growing up my dad would put two captains in his E350 for us when he had to bring us to work. Plus the further apart kids are, the less fighting haha. Hopefully your older kids are mobile or just in boosters, cause with only one back door, that will be a pain in the butt!

RedTruck

Reaction score
You might check local laws...in CA, I would recommend 3.54 gears, and limited slip is always a good idea...

Thanks Warden (Chris if I remember right). I didn't think about licensing. I'll have to check that. It already has 3.54 gears, but no limited slip.
Thanks

don't run passenger car tires on it

Thanks Chris. Tires will be based on GVW. Thank you.

have you seriously thought about what you would have to do to run a shifter in that thing for a zf5? regearing the tail end tall and popping an Allison box in it for durability and simplicity

Thanks Rob. Do I need to dig up that pic of your shafts leading from shifter to 5831 ? :)
I know the Allison is a great transmission, just not my thing. I still have a 5831 that I've thought of snaking in this thing. The 15 passenger vans have a history of roll-over. My thought is a little extra weight down below may be nice to have...traction and offset the center of gravity. If I can work it into the plan somehow I'd like to find a van hit in the rear. I'd like to cut off the front portion and use it to mock up the engine/transmission installation so when it goes in this van it's gravy. Thanks for chiming in Rob! Appreciate your thoughts.

If you need a wheelchair lift for a disabled person, most handicapped parking spaces are designed for vehicles using side mounted lifts, not rear mounted ones.

Thank you much for your input. I was hoping to get the exact info you provided. I would like to figure out the strap points in the van first for a wheel chair. I want to design it so the person can still stay in the chair while driving. The wheel chair part of this is really preliminary...I don't even like to think of it at this point...

Thanks much!

The part holds true that you do not need a passenger endorsement (not class b) if it is for personal use in CA.

Thanks. I keep thinking 1 ton pickup, but I will need to check this out. Thanks

Putting the baby/kid seats for me is easier with captains than the bench seats. You can really see that the baby/kid seat is held on tight. I used the bench seat in the two door Bronco and it kind of sucks (not to mention getting in there to begin with!). Growing up my dad would put two captains in his E350 for us when he had to bring us to work. Plus the further apart kids are, the less fighting haha. Hopefully your older kids are mobile or just in boosters, cause with only one back door, that will be a pain in the butt!

Thanks Danielle,

I didn't think I would actually get a mom Chiming in :)

I was originally thinking benches, but after what you are saying and a few other folks I've talked to...I'm leaning towards capt. seats. I think the benches would make things easier right now (2&4 year old), but the capt. chairs I think will be nicer once they ride a little better (thought they do ride nice now).

Thanks for your suggestions.

sassyrel

Reaction score
history of rolling??? only if people are doing something stupid...and try and get,,the one with handle removable seats,,quick in and out,,,the bolt down ones,,are a pita.....been there..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Warden (Chris if I remember right).
Actually, it's Tim, but no worries ;Sweet my childhood best friend was named Chris, though LOL

history of rolling??? only if people are doing something stupid...and try and get,,the one with handle removable seats,,quick in and out,,,the bolt down ones,,are a pita.....been there..
Agreed completely with both points! I drive these things pretty regularly courtesy of work, and the center of gravity isn't ridiculously high...you have to be doing something pretty stupid to roll one over. Much easier to roll an SUV IMHO. And, the handle-removable seats are really a godsend, although I don't know when Ford implemented them...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Putting a 5 speed in a van is no problem, the problem will be to find a standard van steering column with the clutch/brake assembly.

And the shifter won't really need to be modded to be comfortable to drive.

Here is a factory 1990 E150 5 speed van (M5R2)

You must be registered for see images attach

All you'll have to do is cut a whole in the doghouse. Ford vans aren't like the old Dodge Tradesman vans with the shifter behind the front seats lol.

And heres what the clutch pedal assembly looks for a van, this is from a 1980 E100 van I saved everything from, engine/4 speed OD tranny, shifter assembly, tranny cross member and steering column, scored all these rare parts for 150$!

And word of advice, any work you "THINK" the engine will need in the future, do it NOW before putting it the van! Reseal the whole thing, head gaskets, tune up, everything!

You do not wanna do this with the engine in the van!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Many of the wheelchair vehicles I've seen, including mine, use a short section of E-Trak bolted to the floor. A locking bar, that attaches to many standard wheelchairs, has straps that clip into the E-Trak. Simple, strong, easy to use, and the E-Trak is not in the way of moving people and cargo inside the van.

I may still have my locking bar. Let me know if you need one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online