E-350 Bogging down an loss of RPM

PMe350

Reaction score
I have a 98 e-350 powerstroke that when it is below 40 degrees outside and after warming up for 5-10mins when you start to drive it bogs down and looses RPMs. I have to floor it to get it going, but it sounds like to me that it is lacking fuel to the engine. Any clue?

Ggg

Reaction score
Where are you located, and what is the ambient temps? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Any change in fuel supply?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 e-350 powerstroke that when it is below 40 degrees outside and after warming up for 5-10mins when you start to drive it bogs down and looses RPMs. I have to floor it to get it going, but it sounds like to me that it is lacking fuel to the engine. Any clue?

Im going to guess that it is your EBPV closing to aid in engine warm up. Provided it doesnt do it after the engine is totally warm, this is a normal event. The PCM looks at a number of conditions, such as intake air temp (IAT) and engine oil temp (EOT) and decides whether or not to close the back pressure valve to warm the beast up quicker. There is a back pressure sensor tube on the front bottom of the passengers side exhaust manifold and that tube sometimes can get plugged with soot causing the EBPV to close at undesirable times. But if its only doing it upon initial warm up, youre prolly good.

PMe350

Reaction score
Ggg-I'm located in south central PA, lately it's been about 30-40 degrees when we try to start the truck. I just changed the fuel filter 2 weeks ago

Stroker- It's our company truck, We've had it for about 6 years now and if i remember correctly it has about 75,000 miles on it my dad swore it never bogged down when it was cold out before. That is a good question, if it does it when it is totally warmed up I will have to ask him about it. I will get back to you about that.

Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726