Duralift not pumping enough fuel?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the install yesterday, today I decided to get on it, plenty of power, more than with the mechanical pump, but holding it wide open for just a few seconds and the fuel filter light comes on...
Let of the throttle then, I haven't tried holding the throttle anymore to see if it will starve of fuel...

I read a couple guys with the modded motors had this problem with the Duralift not keeping up with the IP... I don't really consider mine very modded...
BB codes, factory turbo, exhaust, down pipe, intake...

Anyone else have this problem? I have it mounted under the hood and would really rather not move it to the frame rail.. lots of mud and water in Florida

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
That and availability is why I went with the 72gph Carter, I had thought I was just being overkill though. I'd be curious to see you put a gauge on it and see if you are actually losing pressure.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is under the hood and it works great, lots of people seem to be having problems with the duralift pumps as of late, wonder if theres a quality control issue?

I would replace fuel filter, and what diameter fuel hose did you use? dont want to bottleneck it with small hose.

Other then that I dont know what the problem would be. Pulling my dodge back this weekend I was at wide open throttle for long periods of time and had no fuel issues, mine is N/A though.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter has maybe 500 miles on it... never had the light with the mechanical pump.

Fuel hose is 3/8 diameter

This might be a dumb question, but is a pressure gauge on the schrader valve sufficient?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I would pull the schrader valve out, and screw in any pressure gauge you have handy. Most have 1/8 pipe threads, run it out and ziptie it to the cowl. Crude but effective, and its only temporary. That way you can see it drop while driving under the same conditions.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Im beginning to wonder if some of these guys are using kung fu hose barb fittings that are narrowed way down less than 1/4" on the inside? Ive seen plenty of those fittings, especially ones with 90 deg bends. They may accept a 3/8 hose on the outside, but on the inside, you'd have a hard time poking a q tip through.

Ive been using these things longer than anyone and ive never run across a fuel starvation issue and I have my pump turned up and I tow HEAVY ( heck just running around empty that beast tips the scales at over 8k , and I regularly tow grossing 18-22k+,and it aint flat ground)
I do have JIC fittings on all my fuel lines using push lock hose ( and I only run 5/16 hose on the entire system, VERY free flowing, but I used barbs the first few years, but they were high dollar ones, not budget bit The good stuff at 5/16 is more open internally than a lot of the cheap stuff at 3/8. REmember, the metal lines near the FSV are only 1/4" ID.

As far as the original installation, is this for factory tanks, or do youhave additional tanks?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine did that the whole time I had it until dying on me recently. They don't push much fuel.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with mine. I routinely gross 20k + and my EGT's get way to high before I have to worry about fuel.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Are there different models? Mine is part number BK 6102400 from Napa

Looks like
33 gallons/hour
9-11.5 psi

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Are there different models? Mine is part number BK 6102400 from Napa

Looks like
33 gallons/hour
9-11.5 psi

33 gallons in an hour...hmm...think about that for a minute people.

WOT down the road for one hour, drain a front and over half a rear tank. Wouldn't get far now would we?

33 GPH should suffice just fine so long as no other preexisting problems are there. Restrictions in lines kinks, bad bends shoddy fittings etc.

I'm with Robert on this one that if plumbed correctly we will have no problems.

Now onto a thought here, I actually just did the Diesel Purge flush using only the internal IP pump. You could clearly see the return flow that was happening in the bottle. Also I can only imagine how it may appear if I had used a lift pump that provided 33GPH

Just sayin

Al

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
33 gallons in an hour...hmm...think about that for a minute people.

WOT down the road for one hour, drain a front and over half a rear tank. Wouldn't get far now would we?

33 GPH should suffice just fine so long as no other preexisting problems are there. Restrictions in lines kinks, bad bends shoddy fittings etc.

I'm with Robert on this one that if plumbed correctly we will have no problems.

Now onto a thought here, I actually just did the Diesel Purge flush using only the internal IP pump. You could clearly see the return flow that was happening in the bottle. Also I can only imagine how it may appear if I had used a lift pump that provided 33GPH

Just sayin

Al

Al, we need 6gph NA just to the engine. Now you're forgetting about everything being returned... That's a significant amount.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Wide open at high rpm for long periods can go through A LOT of fuel, NA Ive gone through probably 3 gallons in about 5 minutes, literally watch the gauge fall fuel consumption.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, we need 6gph NA just to the engine. Now you're forgetting about everything being returned... That's a significant amount.

N I didnt forget about everything being returned....