DT360 Into 1988 Ford F-350 cclb

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this forum and have been on and off reading different posts when Jons DT swap caught my eye. I talked around at my work looking to see if they had any lying around and sure enough! They have one that had an in frame overhaul about 10,000 miles ago . I'm not entirely new with engine swaps since this past summer I replaced the knocking 351w and C6 that came factory in my ford, for a N/A 7.3 idi backed by a Zf5. Yet I know the DT is a whole different ball game and would like to accumulate all the parts needed for the swap before it is completely underway. I know that Carson stauffer supplies an adapter plate and clutch kit for around ~$2700 Not very nice out at the moment in Michigan to tear into it. I plan on keeping the ZF5 and buying Carson Stauffers adapter plate for roughly ~$900. Although Stauffer has a whole kit for ~$2700 with a BASIC clutch and flywheel. Is that a good clutch to handle 500 hp? And will the ZF5 be able to handle it? Also what all so I need to achieve the 500hp mark? Any feed back would be great!

Last edited:

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
heres a few pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb with the DT360 is 1 to 2.5 (horsepower to torque). So if you plan on generating 500 hp, you will be in the 1200 ft-lb range of torque.

I don't think a ZF 5-speed will survive long at that torque level.

As far as what you will need to achieve 500 hp: injection pump tweaks, either a rather large (think BW 400 series or Holset 50 series) single turbo or compounds. My preference would be compounds. (Running a large single will be laggy on the low end.) A huge intercooler sourced from a 6.0 Super Duty is a good move as well.

If you run a large single, you can just bolt it on, plumb in the intercooler and with some timing adjustments you will hit the 500 hp mark. (That is, if your injection pump will put out enough fuel. If not, you will need to have some work done on it to get it to flow enough.) Once you do all of that, you will hit 500 hp. But the truck won't be all that much fun to drive. Your power will be on the top end, and it will be slow off the line. IMHO, to hit the 500 hp mark and have a fun truck to drive, you will need compounds. Which means time and $.

Truthfully, if you want to build a DT360, be prepared to spend some $. I think you will be looking at around $6 to $8K to put out 500 hp... that is, if you are a skilled fabricator like Jon. Farming out some of the work will just raise the price tag.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Check back on that adapter, when I talked with carlson (or a rep) he was very friendly and helpful but you needed to get the clutch kit they sell to as a total package. Yes you can buy just the adapter for the zf5 but it will not work with any standard flywheel that I know of.

That is why I decided to run the medium duty transmission that came with my dt360. The zf5 is a stout transmission but could be a weak link at the power you want. Hopefully I should not have to worry about the medium duty spicer I am putting in.

I am not sure you will be able to do much with the turbo to. The stock turbo on Jon and my truck is only a couple of inches from the heater box. A little close for comfort to begin with. It would only be worse with a bigger turbo. My long term plan is to make my own compound set up with some custom manifolds.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
And as a heads up the previous swap you did was a mostly bolt in affair. I have no idea what your capabilities are but my swap has given me a ton of personal time with my welder and plasma cutter!

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
Yes I have realized that the 7.3 conversion was fairly simple. I am ready for a challenge. As far as the transmission goes I was planning on getting the zf5 rebuilt and slowly building the motor in the truck. What is your axles are you running? I am running 4.10 right now and was planning on converting to 3.55 is that a good combination? I am a fairly good fabricator so that won't be a problem

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
I ended up buying the DT 360 tonight, so the project will begin. The motor came out of a school bus, and was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago the school bus was being used to transport turkeys. I was told they rebuilt the turbo. As Well. Motor looks in pretty good shape

subway

Reaction score
I have 3.55 in my truck and like them with the zf5 except when I was towing. I really felt like when I had the 5th wheel on that I could use a lower 1st gear and reverse was way to high. Low range helped out most times but I was smoking the clutch other times.

I felt the truck ran great empty though and it kept the rpm's down on the highway. Look forward to seeing your progress.

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
I picked up the DT360 last night and got it inside before the snow hit. Seems to be in pretty decent shape! Here are some more pictures. Also, could you help explain to me the differences between the less desirable VE Pump and the. P-Pump. I believe my motor is a P Pump motor. But what makes it so much better? More fuel flow? How much boost are you able to push with the stock turbo and timing and a turned up pump?

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a P-pump to me! ;Sweet

As to the advantages of a P-pump over a VE pump...a VE pump is only lubricated by the fuel that flows through it. The P-pump, however, has engine oil pumped in to lubricate it. Also, as I understand it, inline pumps tend to be more robust and hold up better than rotary pumps...beyond that, the big advantage is that there are more adjustments that can be made to get more power out of a P-pump. However, the VE pump isn't a complete dog; you can get respectable power out of it and IIRC superior fuel efficiency if things are tuned correctly. But, the P-pump has considerably more potential ;Sweet

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
Good deal! That is great! For the stock turbo, is it large enough where i can run compounds with it and still acquire a good amount of boost and hp or should I just run the single to begin with? What setup would you recommend ?

subway

Reaction score
Sorry to say but I don't think you have a p pump. They were offered on the dt360 but I believe it was only the last two years they were made and they were intercooled. They ran a p pump the last couple of years but I have read they ran smaller plungers than the Cummins p pump. It is upgradable though.

The earlier pumps used on the non intercooled engines like you have are either the A or MW pumps. Still good in line pumps you can turn up but not a p pump.

subway

Reaction score

My A style pump on the 88 engine I pulled

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say but I don't think you have a p pump. They were offered on the dt360 but I believe it was only the last two years they were made and they were intercooled. They ran a p pump the last couple of years but I have read they ran smaller plungers than the Cummins p pump. It is upgradable though.

The earlier pumps used on the non intercooled engines like you have are either the A or MW pumps. Still good in line pumps you can turn up but not a p pump.

Thank you...I don't know enough about the DT360 to know what pumps were available. From the original post, I made the assumption that the P-pump and the VE rotary pump were the only options, and since he has an inline pump, I assumed it was a P-pump.

I stand corrected. I don't know enough about the A or MW pumps to make any definitive statements, but it's a reasonable assumption that they'll still hold up better than a rotary pump would. Are they still Bosch pumps?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online