door ding strip ?s

zpd307

Reaction score
i cant remember what they are called right now. but what is the easiest way to get them off the door. i want to keep them to transfer over to a new door that didnt come with them. which leads to another question, were can i get the double sided tape to put them back on. any tricks to getting the rest of the goo off the strips once i get them off. i now have one less rusty, hole filled door!

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get it at O'Reilly and you can power wash most of it and sand it off with 80 grit it worked for me the tape is made by 3m.

DragRag

Reaction score
There going to look like crap after you rip them off. I know, I have done this several time. Most autobody supply stores sell the strips in a roll form new, and you cut each piece to fit. It's not that expensive, and it's going to look a whole lot better. You can try putting the old stuff back on though, good luck.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the one thats on the door edge or the one thats on the side of the door. oh well it doesnt really matter, this is one of the ways i was taught buy a friend of mine that worked for a bodyshop. you can use a piece of nylon string are a heave piece of fishing line. i like the nylon cause it cuts the tape a little easier. work the string in behind the object and the door.your trying to move the string back and forth like your cutting the tape with the rope and also apply pressure to the side to make the rope walk as you cut. believe me it works, the same guy showed me how to cut a piece of pvc pipe into with a piece of nylon rope lol. as for as the leftover glue on the door, wal mart sell a adhesive remover in the auto section by the bondo and car touchup paint. ive found it to work pretty good you just have to let it sit a while and do it more than once. for the replacement tape ive bought it at wally mart also in the same place as the adhesive remover and they sell it at most auto part stores. just make sure its double sided and i try to get the thinist one i can find. hope this helps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see a picture of this item. The only edge strip I know of is just simple plastic item that is a pinched U shape, which just holds onto the door edge by friction. Is this not the item we are talking about?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Mel it's the black strip seen here on Droopy.

Getting that off there without bending it and curling it up is a real treat trying to keep it straight.

A heat gun usually helps in relaxing the tapes some as well too.

As said a good adhesive remover will do the trick at getting the residual glue off.

I don't know why Ford decided to put that stuff on a pickup.cookoo

Attachments

• 102_5947.JPG
    102_5947.JPG
    623.3 KB · Views: 12

zpd307

Reaction score
yes ron, it is the black plastic with chrome strip in it. it runs horizontally along the truck to help prevent door dings from othe cars in the parking lot. while doing some research, i found others referring to them as rub strips.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH! Trims strips. I don't need know stinkin' trim strip. LOL

Actually, I know exactly what your talking about, and yes those are a mess. Everyone I have pulled off, I enjoyed ruining knowing that it would NOT be going back on. Those things are just rust enablers if you ask me.

zpd307

Reaction score
yeah, but they are still all on the truck now except for the front doors, so now it looks silly. especiall; since the truck is two tone blue with silver center and the new doors are just solid solid blue of the same color. i am planning to just paint the center silver quick like and replace the rub strip and call it good.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im telling yall those strips are a piece of cake to get off. if you get some of the white nylon rope and slide it behind the strip to get started and use the rope as sort of a knife and work it back and forth while applying a side ways pressure it will cut right through the adhesive. it works ive done it quite a few times.

zpd307

Reaction score
yeah, i will be trying to get them off later today. i just got done putting on the new drivers door.

02AutoWag

Reaction score
im telling yall those strips are a piece of cake to get off. if you get some of the white nylon rope and slide it behind the strip to get started and use the rope as sort of a knife and work it back and forth while applying a side ways pressure it will cut right through the adhesive. it works ive done it quite a few times.
This approach has been documented by many as a good method for getting off emblems that are stuck to vehicles. I hear waxed dental floss is probably the easiest/cheapest to acquire. Use it in conjunction with the adhesive remover and I'll guess it'll work twice as good.