done with fords

Status
Not open for further replies.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
rhanae said:
for all u guys that are mad after reading this its ok i understand i defended ford for a long time.now as soon as u figure out what i did youll save yourself alot of money and frustration.

I think you completely missed what most of us just said. I just bought a new GMC. I thought I liked it better than the new fords. Not a better truck, per se, just better for me.

If I was in the market for another old diesel, it'd be an old Ford. Chevy's 6.2 and 6.5 left a lot to be desired. I also like fords in that I am familiar with them, and distributor work doesn't involve a lto of reaching. These are all small items though.

If you're saying that all fords are junk, and other brands are better, you are wrong. My old truck had 1/3 of a million miles on it and only left me stranded once in 60k miles, with a bad water pump. But, I took meticulous care of it. I could tell you some great stories of wonderful service from every manufacturer that I've had personal experience with, but they were all maintained well. I've never had a bad car/truck.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
sucks.
I have alot of tools tho (contractor)
none of them are cordless... I prefer a generator.
I also have a lil storage area on the farm, I don't store anything flammable anywhere near where we live..... living in a trailer makes someone think seriously about fire.

I think a trailer this size can burn to the ground in 7minutes.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
Chevy's 6.2 and 6.5 left a lot to be desired. I also like fords in that I am familiar with them, and distributor work doesn't involve a lto of reaching. These are all small items though.

Without getting turbo flamed, can I ask why? You seem to be very level in your answers etc. and while I am in no attempt trying to "fire" anyone up, I have never owned either of the above and wondered why I have seen this multiple times.

My issues with my Ford are:
Clutch problems - already mentioned and well on their way to being fixed
Wiring - WAY to small wiring for lights, trailer etc. - fixed on mine with relays, but I really don't think you should have to go to that extent.
CDR - replaced and never had an anti-freeze burning condition since
Ignition Switch - about roasted my truck, started smoking and this was a common failure issue as well
D44 - hated it! Much better driveability with D60 in the front - truck drives like a Corvette compared to before.

So, without starting a war, I would just like to compare the two for my own decision. While we are at it, what do the older Dodge diesels have to make them good/bad. Maybe I should start a new thread, but we all seem to agree on many points here - ease of repair, simple system to work on, decent fuel economy etc. Hopefully no one will take this request as me trashing a Ford, never really meant too, but they are not my prefered brand.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Without getting turbo flamed, can I ask why? You seem to be very level in your answers etc. and while I am in no attempt trying to "fire" anyone up, I have never owned either of the above and wondered why I have seen this multiple times.

My issues with my Ford are:
Clutch problems - already mentioned and well on their way to being fixed
Wiring - WAY to small wiring for lights, trailer etc. - fixed on mine with relays, but I really don't think you should have to go to that extent.
CDR - replaced and never had an anti-freeze burning condition since
Ignition Switch - about roasted my truck, started smoking and this was a common failure issue as well
D44 - hated it! Much better driveability with D60 in the front - truck drives like a Corvette compared to before.

So, without starting a war, I would just like to compare the two for my own decision. While we are at it, what do the older Dodge diesels have to make them good/bad. Maybe I should start a new thread, but we all seem to agree on many points here - ease of repair, simple system to work on, decent fuel economy etc. Hopefully no one will take this request as me trashing a Ford, never really meant too, but they are not my prefered brand.

The truth is that I'm just repeating stuff I've heard. No personal experience here. I believe it has to do with fuel injection issues, on the high pressure side. They were also low on power. That I do know.

I think the old dodges were good trucks, just ugly.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I think the old dodges were good trucks, just ugly.

:)

My uncle had a mid 80's Dodge gasser, 3/4 ton 4 wd. He would call me to haul water on my 79 Chevy 1/2 ton as it would haul the load much better. Not sure why, both were the same other than mine was only 2 wd. But when you put 2000 gallons on his Dodge, it was virtually undriveable. My Chevy didn't like it, but the drive was only about 3 miles and it handled it pretty well. We built my parents house and often hauled 1+ tons of gravel/sand etc. on the Chevy. It was a 250 6 cyl that I converted later to a 350. Was a very nice truck and served my family well.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Well, I worked for a guy with an 84 F150/300-6/t19. We used that truck like it was a F350. Broke the spring mounts, shackles and springs on it numerous times. I just saw it again, after 10 years. Some guy has a camper on it.
I've been a Ford Truck man, ever since that 84. Funny thing is, I HATE Ford cars.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
:eek: :popcorn I'm lost. :confused:
Not sure where this is going but me thinks a better discussion would be to take it downstairs for those who would like for it to continue.

We all have our prefs on which is brand is better and all but :sucks in here. :rolleyes:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Had to add my 2 bits I can put my fords down.!!!!!!!!!!
2 of these loads were with my ole 84 F250(after 10 years of plowing snow in Massachusetts)1 was with my 91 F350. Both had automatic transmissions.both trucks had over 300,000 on them.Yes I had to work on them the(we bought the F350 with a blown moter so it had to settle for the engine from the F250). The 91 seemed to need more maintaince then the f250 but then a lot of my trips were 10,000 miles plus B4 I got back home.They were often back to back with a couple hrs in the garage for a once over and an oilchange -grease job.Both engines in the F350 were used engines.the current engine is a low mileage Jasper against a high mileage Jasper trans. The trailer took more time to maintain then the truck most of the time (I learned what kind of axles I would put on my trailer if I ever got another one LOL (retired now sorry) My engine problems were a result of things that should have been prevented.We learn every day-by our experiences.My transmission in the 91(E40d) has over 225,000 on it.I think some vehicles seem to be better for one person while another for what ever reason serves someone else better.My 91 has over 500,000 on the chassis and I feel it has at least another 250,000 miles left on it maybe more.I am faced in the near future of getting rid of it for a different kind of vehicle (yet I may keep it for sentimental reasons)sure it needs some TLC but it has many miles of work left with a couple thousand $ put in it. You be the judge.
Mr Bill
Ps I am still fighting the urge to do it some more just for the fun of it.
Sorry I just wanted the last word!!!

Attachments

• Emery Cletrac and John Deere.JPG
    Emery Cletrac and John Deere.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 23
  • in Canada.JPG
    in Canada.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Help Them Out.JPG
    Help Them Out.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
what?No pictures of the RMS Carpathia hauling 8000Lbs plus of dead weight on that trailer......AKA,The Enterprise Haul!Wonder what you grossed that time.Enterprise,around 60 gallons of fuel in the E,400Lbs of extra parts and junk,1000lbs of snow,500Lbs of salt......

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Bill, if I may ask, what was your average uphill speed when loaded up that much? And, what were your EGT's at if you had a pyro installed?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Humotous thread!
I find it interesting how many people want to tell other people what to do----
" I hate______ and you should, too!"
As Mel said, if you're unhappy with Fords, Go in peace. Find what makes you happy. But please do not tell me that my Fords are junk. At 330,000 miles its a good truck. The biggest problems I had were all due to previous owners, and the "mechanic" that performed the MD state inspection. The truck passed its inspection with a frozed king pin!. When they inspected the rear end, they failed to notice that there was very little oil in it. A wheel bearing failed before I got it home. Can't blame Ford for all that. Since I did not pay for the inspection, I had no legal standing so it was all on me to fix it. But that was 10+ years ago, and I am over it--right!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I'm calling ******** here. 2000 gallons is over 20k lbs on half ton axles. Was it 200?

Yes, sorry, it was a 250 gallon tank and we didn't top it off. Sorry. 2000 gallons would have been 16,000 lbs (2000 X 8 Pounds per gallon).

I stuttered on the zero button apparently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online