does the 7.3 IDI and DI powerstroke share anything other than similar displacement?

06cumminspower

Reaction score
got a obs I am parting out and get a lot of questions pertaining to IDIs about it. but for my own sanity I am also curious. as far as I know the displacement is the only thing the same bit are crankshafts and rods interchangeable? also what about powerstroke ex manifolds? if they can bolt to IDI heads could make for a fairly simple/cheap turbo kit if you could use stroker manifolds and up pipes

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifters can interchange and the oil filters, as far as I know, no other parts swap between IDI and PS

oh, one more question, can 8cyl Bosch MW pump off of IH 9.0 bolt on to a idi?

Yes, yes it can.....if..If...IF you have enough $$$$$ or build/machining skillz to get it done or do it...

LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing, there both Diesel engines. Oil pan bolts are the same, and there's another little screw that's the same.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe the above postings pretty much explains what parts will swap. Sadly the block, crank, cam oil pump are a bit longer than the idi. What is funny is the psd rods are the same size on both the top and bottom ends and the length is the same but.. The width of the bottom end is about 130 thousands wider so it wont fit our cranks. I thought I could machine down the big ends but that would not leave enough material for a solid rod cap and bolt boss. I even bought a set of forged psd rods too. I passed on the powdered metal rods. I'm not too sure about the PM process used to make piston rods. Its a mold where powdered metal is poured into it and heated up. One its melted in the mold there is very little machining to be done..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online