DMF service limit

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read in several places that the service limit for a DMF is 5/8". Can anyone tell me where that is measured?
I am doing a t-19 to zf swap and was hoping to reuse the DMF and clutch from the donor. Freeplay is 7/8 inches when measured at the ring gear teeth, but I would really like someone to tell me I can get away with reusing it instead of forking over for a SMF conversion.
Thanks

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id use the t19 flywheel and pressure plate with a zf clutch disk with springs in the center.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the dmf is just maintenance waiting to happen. You are in the perfect position to
take charge and eliminate that day ruining event!

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do a lucky mod on it for about $5.00 and have a SMF. I, Agnem, and a few others have done it with success. I read that 3/4" of free play back and forth is worn out, mine was at 7/8 when I preventatively replaced it (though I thought my clutch might be going and was about to go on a long trip). My Dad's Powerstroke had 1 3/8" free play when his clutch went. Word of warning, often a new clutch put in on an otherwise decent DMF will cause the DMF to be the weak link in the chain and it'll go soon after.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id use the t19 flywheel and pressure plate with a zf clutch disk with springs in the center.

Everything I have read says that will not work because of the different thicknesses of the t-19 flywheel versus the DMF.
I ordered the SMF conversion kit from Fort Wayne Clutch on Ebay. $380 with shipping and it comes with clutch pressure plate, flywheel throwout bearing and pilot bearing.
It only money I guess.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did it to my cousins 6.9 when he put a 460 5 speed behind it. 5000+ miles and lots of trailers and off roading without any problems.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah,
Thanks again for your help last weekend. I think I am going to haul the parts truck for scrap on Thursday to get the trailer clear. This weekend I am going to focus on wiring up the refrigerator box to see whats going on with it.
If your game maybe weekend after next we can hit it again. Flywheel kit and rear main seal are on the way off fleabay and should all be here by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online