Digital fuel pressure gauge installation and testing results

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
As an instrumentation and controls engineer I have a knack for over-complicating things... and gadgets.

Last weekend I installed a 1/32 DIN Omega process indicator with a -14.7 to 15 PSIG transducer (4-20 ma loop) in the "check filter" switch port on the fuel filter housing. Result is instant fuel pressure readout without fuel in the cab. I have the standard Carter mechanical lift pump (who knows how old) The results are as follows;

KOEO (key on, engine off) = -0.8 PSIG
Engine running @ idle = 3.8 to 4.2 PSIG
Crusing @ 65 MPH = 4.8 PSIG
Pedal floored @ 65 PHM = 2.9 PSIG

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. That would really help all those HARD STARTERS on here everyday.
OK, so is this going to remain a secret, parts?
Now a couple hundred OB'ers will want one.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Nice. That would really help all those HARD STARTERS on here everyday.
OK, so is this going to remain a secret, parts?
Now a couple hundred OB'ers will want one.

Of course!

Parts can be had at omega.com

Transducer, 4-20 ma output. Compound vacuum/pressure -14.7 to 15 PSIG - Part # PX182B-015CI
Process controller, 12-24 VDC input range - Part # CNi3233-DC

I can also generate a wiring diagram as needed...

It should be noted that with some crafty wiring/toggle switches you could set this up to work off of multiple pressure transducers. My thought originally was to also have a transducer for boost (has to be the same range or the scaling will be off) This process controller is universal so it could read thermocouples, RTD's, etc...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
One other test I did was to remove the fuel filter... 0.0 PSIG. I suspect that an empty fuel filter will show the same (as with an air intrusion issue) as when the filter is full of fuel a small vacuum exists (-0.8 PSIG)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course!

Parts can be had at omega.com

Transducer, 4-20 ma output. Compound vacuum/pressure -14.7 to 15 PSIG - Part # PX182B-015CI
Process controller, 12-24 VDC input range - Part # CNi3233-DC

I can also generate a wiring diagram as needed...

It should be noted that with some crafty wiring/toggle switches you could set this up to work off of multiple pressure transducers. My thought originally was to also have a transducer for boost (has to be the same range or the scaling will be off) This process controller is universal so it could read thermocouples, RTD's, etc...

Yes, but like you said the transducers all need to be calibrated and scaled the same. If you did want to set one up to monitor exhaust gas temp, you would need another controller to sit beside the other one. Even though they are universal, you have to program them for 4-20, rtd, thermocouple, etc. You can't switch between the different input styles without going into program mode and reprogramming them. Having a few sitting there would not be a big deal. Don't forget to mention they have output contacts for processes and alarms. So you could hook some buzzers or lights up to come one when certain values are reached like overtemp or under pressure, etc.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The Omega controller I used has the ability to change screen color, so I set it to be green when the pressure is above 3.0, 1.5 to 2.9 it turns yellow, and below 1.5 it turns red...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When anyone see's the cost of these, don't think too many are going to get one. I couldn't find px182b-015c1.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice setup indeed, I'm doing an isolator on my autometer FPG so I can have it incab.

BEST add in some costing besides your part #'s If you have a source that's reputable and not to $$$pendy, let us know!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing from Omega is cheap, but it sure is nice stuff. :D.

Good enough for the Olympics.

I use those at work all the time. There are several other places that sell little digital panel meters way cheaper. Probably not near the quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The way I figure it, the "new" truck crowd spends buku $$ on chips, injectors, turbos, etc. If I drop $400 on some nice toys that are versatile for a number of different things, I am still money ahead. My plan is for another CNi32 to mount under the fuel pressure controller, configured for RTD inputs, and then RTD's installed on various points throughout the rig (trans, OAT, oil pan, water pump, etc) with a selector switch to pick which temp I want to monitor.

Ultimately as time/money permits I plan to install an HMI and PLC system to process and data log all of the aforementioned inputs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is great information to know what the real time pressures are at different throttle and power demands on the engine.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That site is the Holy Grail of gauges.:hail:hail
I didn't look too hard, but I'll bet a person could "rig" up a air temp sensor/gauge to watch the air temp going through the intake or before the turbo.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That site is the Holy Grail of gauges.:hail:hail
I didn't look too hard, but I'll bet a person could "rig" up a air temp sensor/gauge to watch the air temp going through the intake or before the turbo.

Oh, no sweat. Probably as many different configurations as you can imagine and then some.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, no sweat. Probably as many different configurations as you can imagine and then some.

OK no one is posting a link so I'm guessing you all mean this http://www.omega.ca/ another fine Canadian product/site!

Looks like some very saweet stuff there.

I'll be -Drool for a while now thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online