Differences between 03 and 04?????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you have it apart, I would swap sensors and move it. It’s just a little work. But it’s not any more work than replacing an 03 icp sensor and pigtail down the road if you have a failure.

Be sure to check your icp KOEO before you button everything up.

They are a pain to do with everything bolted up if you keep the 03 location.

For future reference the best way to get to the 03 icp sensor with all parts on the truck, is to reach up from the bottom (my hands are too big to do it from above) Snake your arm up past the bellhousing and you can unhook the plug.

Swapping the sensor from above is easier if you have the offset tool for it.

Otherwise you can use a fan belt wrench and do it from below as well.

I put it back in the 03 location.if it becomes an issue down the road I or another mechanic can stretch the wires and use the sensor in the head.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you could use your harness. Just remove the icp from its location in the harness and extend the wiring to reach the passenger valve cover. I have done them with new harnesses because most of the time the 03 harness has already been molested a bunch or has a few chafed spots. So rather than patch it up, the customer is given the option. If you’re doing the work yourself, you may consider just splicing the wires and extending.

You will want to use an 03 icp sensor in the new location. The 03 icp is a different voltage than an 04.5 up icp sensor.

The newer sensor works. But the computer will see a slightly higher pressure than what’s really there. It’s usually not a problem. However it can cause issues on some trucks.

The 03 icp has a KOEO voltage of .18-.19 volts. The 04.5-07 sensor is .24v

As far as using the 03 sensor in the 04 location.i dont see how that would work as the 04 icp is sealed by and holds the rubber seal for the valve cover hole.the 03 is sealed with an oring.totaly different shaped sensors as well.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003-2004(early) are one version.
2004.5-2007 are another version.

2003-2006(early) use 18mm dowels to locate the head to the block.

2006.5-2007 use 20mm dowels.

20mm dowel heads can be used on 18mm blocks with 20-18mm stepped dowels. And some other stuff.

As frustrated as you are. The setup you bought (04.5-07) is a better setup.

The ICP sensor is in a better location, the HPOP is typically more durable, and more.

You have a couple choices. Switch everything over and get an 04.5-07 wiring harness or keep your 03-04 stuff and put it on the 04.5 engine.

If it’s in the budget, I would get an 04.5-07 wiring harness and use the newer parts.

What is the story on the truck? Meaning why do you have a second engine? I don’t know any background on your situation. Sorry. Once I do I can help determine what you should or shouldn’t switch over.

Early 04 - The cross over section at the rear of the intake manifold has been eliminated.

Engine harnesses and glow plug harnesses for a 2004 can be difficult to ensure you get the correct one due to the changes. There are actually 3 versions of the 2004 model:
1. 2003 engine
2. Late 2004 engine (this is identified by a horizontal GPCM orientation and took place on 9/29/03 when the ICP was moved).
3. Late/Late 2004 engine (this took place on Dec 1, 2003 when the GPCM bracket was been redesigned, identified by a vertical GPCM orientation). This change improved long term reliability of the engine wiring harness. The engine sensor wiring harness and both glow plug harnesses were changed. In order to increase the serviceability of the glow plugs, the glow plug buss bar has been replaced with a new glow plug harness. This provided flexibility in the harness, to ease removal of glow plugs

The 04.5 is still the (weak design) swash plate design HPOP. The V-4 piston style (very reliable) didn't get installed until 05. ONLY with the 05 pump change, the failure prone STC fitting on the HPOP discharge was introduced. It requires the one-piece upgrade (this eliminating the STC fitting) for reliability. The GPCM bracket was modified to accept the repositioning of the ICP Sensor. An earlier GPCM bracket will not work on an updated 2004 MY engine.

The crankcase breather was externally mounted on the valve cover because of the redesign of the high-pressure oil rail (04.5)

The 04.5. identified by the 04 model year with ICP on the valve cover, has all the weak designs, weak HPOP, leak-prone dummy plugs and standpipes. Also, the longer (and weaker) fin-type EGR cooler was introduced.

The 05 has a different HPOP cover, different IPR mounting, and different branch tubes.

Sometime in 05 the EBP sensor mounting changed. Not a big deal though.

Also, some 05's have a MAF sensor, some don't.

Oh, also in late Sept 04 when the oil rail changes were made, the front cover was changed to accept the larger (100mm) water pump.

The cam was changed in 04 and, due to a design change of the piston (combustion chamber on the piston has been modified), the glow plug was been made shorter by 1.2 mm. Very important not to use a longer flow plug when the shorter one is required!

LOTS of other changes, but I believe those (along w/ the commonization changes in January of 06 that Crawler mentioned, were the big ones.

Last edited:

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew bismic would get in here and lay it all out. Awesome job as always.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,it ran.i pulled it outside to let it run for a bit.turned it around and pulled back in cuz of an oil leak.shut it off.

now it won't start.acts like it's not getting fuel or the hpo system us dry.according to scanner,1800ish psi hpo cranking over.no codes.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it's gotta come back out.oil leak appears to be coming from the 2 half of the block.atleast I know how to get it out and back in now

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,round 2 didnt go so well.2nd motor had a dead cylinder.was missing parts.

Dropped an injector in it this morning.now hits on all 8.

turbo seems weak.its not making any noise till you rev it to around 2000 in park.and even then it dont sound like what I'm used to a 6.0 sounding like,a hair dryer on steroids.

Also has a high pitched whistle when it is making boost.

Learned more than I ever wanted to know about these things this week.i can have the motor out on the ground in 3 hours with the cab on.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unison ring could be stuck. But make sure the map sensor is plugged in, and the boost line is hooked up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unison ring could be stuck. But make sure the map sensor is plugged in, and the boost line is hooked up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is.8 had to replace the sensor cuz I somehow broke the nipple off of it.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is.8 had to replace the sensor cuz I somehow broke the nipple off of it.

Turbo not cycling and making odd noises during boost can be a number of things.

Do you have a scanner to get us some sensor values?

On 03 ECMs you have to have a number of signals in range and allow the truck to idle at full temp to allow the VGT learn cycle to complete. Until that happens they can and will do goofy stuff with the turbo. What are your MAF volts, MAP PSI, and BARO PSI when KOEO and at idle?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a snap on modis scanner.

I dont have the truck anymore.customer has it back.i used his turbo off the old motor.it had some water in the exhaust side.it felt like it spun fine.no excessive up/down,in/out movement.

I figured it just needs to be run or his turbo is junk.we will see what's up if it comes back.hopefully it straightens itself out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online