diesel in my eye

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I finally had an oppurtunity about 5 o clock this evening to get my motor back in. I took somebody's advice and removed the motor mounts so that I could leave that rat ******* banks exhaust manifold in place while inserting. That worked, yay!

Now the hard part. This is the first time I've tried lining up a motor with the transmission. Normally, I drop the tranny to make the motor install easier. Needless to say, I'm struggling.

So a question: Should I get the motor mounts in place before I bolt the trans to the motor? If I do, will that help to line the motor up with the transmission?

Right now the pass. side is dead on, but the drivers side is a little whopper jawed. I think that if I continue on this path, I'll have to set the motor down and rework my chains and I'd rather not.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
I normally line up the tranny 1st then put a couple bolts to the tranny to the keep it in line then do motor mounts. That way you can wiggle the motor to help get things lined up. Otherwise it's always been harder the other way. Just what works for me. Maybe not everybody.

Also if it's an auto trans don't tighten the bolts all the way before bolting the flex plate to the touque converter. Otherwise it's hard to turn to line up the holes. To much friction. I do this step after motor mounts.

Last edited:

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never put in a diesel, but have dealt with alot of gassers. Is there enough room to jack the transmission up tight against the firewall to give you enough room to bolt it up first? That is how I always do it. If you put the motor in the mounts first, then try to hookup the transmission, you will have to take it loose from the rear cross member to get enough play to get things lined up correctly.