Reaction score
your thoughts on this swap:

'68 M715 w/ pto winch

6.2L from a cucv

nv4500

divorced np205

stock dana 60 front & dana 70 rear 5.87 gears

38" michelins XLs

i have the m715 and its stock right now. don't have any of the other stuff, just wanted you all's advice. plans for the truck is all around driveing, ie mild off road stuff nothing to hardcore and decent on the highway. keep in mind its an old military mule so runnig 75-80 is never gonna hapen. i just would like to keep up with trafic or be able to stay out of the way.

i know of a guy who put a 6.2/nv4500 in his m715 still has the stock np200 for now and 5.87 gears with 38". he says it runs good, but i have gotten mixed opinions off of the net. same say good solid engine others say its gonna crack or give up the ghost quick. there is a member on your 6.2 forum who sounds like they aren't good for anything but boat anchors.

anyway i want a diesel in this truck and it would be nice to keep it military with cucv 6.2 but i also want a diesel that will hold up in my m715. so what say you? any and all advice would be apreciated.

thanks

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
if its not totally original you might as well put what you want in it.. atleast from a collector standpoint

i'd say get a cummins 4bt or 6bt depending on what fits better... parts are easily available and the cummings is solid as a rock, the nv4500 would be easy to mount up as well all you would need to fab up is motor mounts... but you would need to do that with the chevy mill as well

welcome to the site... got a pic of your truck? i like old military stuff

warwick

Reaction score
jlayne said:
if its not totally original you might as well put what you want in it.. atleast from a collector standpoint
my m715 is to far gone to be a collector truck, plus i don't like old military iron after they restore them. takes something away that you can't replace.

jlayne said:
i'd say get a cummins 4bt or 6bt depending on what fits better...
i know a guy who put a 4BT/nv4500 in his m715 probably the nicest moded m715 out there. i beliave the cummins are alittle heavy,1,000# ?, for my stock axles. i'm new to diesels and don't know anything about cummins, tried search the net but there dosn't seam like there is alot of info about american diesels. could be i'm not looking in the right place or asking the right questions.

JLAYNE said:
welcome to the site... got a pic of your truck? i like old military stuff
don't have any pictures of my m715 on my computer, i'll post some when i get a chance. and thanks for the welcome.

anyway i didn't mention it in my first post but my budget for the swap is gonna dictate what i can use. if can get a 6.2cucv cheap and a cheap 4x2 nv4500 or a sm465 i should be with in my budget. anything more and its not gonna work for me right now,

so the good,bad and ugly of GM 6.2L from a CUCV?

from what i have read its a crap shoot...50% will go south quick ......50% will run 300,000-400,000 miles

DBogo

Reaction score
there gutless but if not tinkered with they should last a while when you start trying to get more power out of them they turn into a timebomb

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
warwick said:
i know a guy who put a 4BT/nv4500 in his m715 probably the nicest moded m715 out there. i beliave the cummins are alittle heavy,1,000# ?, for my stock axles. i'm new to diesels and don't know anything about cummins, tried search the net but there dosn't seam like there is alot of info about american diesels. could be i'm not looking in the right place or asking the right questions.

the 5/4 axles under that truck (D60 front D70 rear) will handle just about ANY light duty diesel you can toss in that thing without a problem

warwick

Reaction score
DBogo said:
there gutless but if not tinkered with they should last a while when you start trying to get more power out of them they turn into a timebomb

is this from personel experience or what you have read? and what part of the engine is the weak link? i have read that the heads a prone to cracking, what else?

warwick

Reaction score
jlayne said:
the 5/4 axles under that truck (D60 front D70 rear) will handle just about ANY light duty diesel you can toss in that thing without a problem

not to sure about that, they are 37 year old closed knuckles. i'm gonna check with m715 gurus about front end weight and stock axles to see if it will hold up to the weight of a cummins.

warwick

Reaction score
budget has me over a barrell.

how much would a 6bt coast? asuming you can find one in good shape out of dodge that is other whys scrap.

how much do chevy 4x2 NV4500 coast from a pick in pull yard?

i can get a cucv 6.2 for $300 and a sm465 for $100.

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
your not gonna find a cummins and tranny for 400 dollars thats for sure.... maybe a grand or two depending on condition for both

but if your gonna keep this vehicle and drive it much at all, it would be money in the bank to save your cash and get something besides a 6.2... i can get them cheap around here as well and thought about putting one in a jeep but bogo is right... they are pretty gutless and unreliable if modded, so i'm going to save my pennies and put a 4bt in one

as for your axels... i would bet money the one in my superduty (D50) would break before yours