Death wobble

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Keeps getting worse. Was wondering what I should look at first. The truck needs an alignment in a bad way, pulls to the right real hard. But other than that, the joints seem to be fine. BTW I have the I beam front, with coil springs.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check tie rod ends. My F150 started a VERY bad wobble- and I checked my left tie rod (drag link) and it was shot. Put a new one on- been fine ever since. It was loose on the end that goes into the main tie rod.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Tie rod ends, steering box bolts, pitman arm, trailing arms and bushings, pivot bushings, ball joints, bearings....ANYTHING that dan move up front will wear.

I would put my money on steering linkages or tie rod ends though.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
also check around the brackets for them ovaling out. look for traces of rust aound the crossmember and attatment bolts for the rad arms n stuff.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also tires out of balance will cause this. I would check all componets to do with steering first then balljoints and ect.... Start with things you can check yourself first. If you know the alignment is out then start there if all your steering componets are in good shape with no slop.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have some really good suggestions here. I would also suggest checking the RT brake and the wheel balance.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and you may not believe this, but the status of your shocks can cause some funky handling issues if they are worn out and bad.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very loose front end on my truck when I bought it. I replaced the steering column and put a new dampner on the front and the issue is no more. Turns out the guy I got my truck from was a little guy and he was using the steering wheel to hoist himself into the truck (note to self dont do it). Busted the bearings in the steering column. After some research I found it was cheaper and easier to buy the whole column used with good bearings than to just buy the bearings and replace. I ended up using a column out of an 01 excursion. I also tightened up the bolt on my pitman arm because with all the vibrations it loosened up a bit.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I had a very loose front end on my truck when I bought it. I replaced the steering column and put a new dampner on the front and the issue is no more. Turns out the guy I got my truck from was a little guy and he was using the steering wheel to hoist himself into the truck (note to self dont do it). Busted the bearings in the steering column. After some research I found it was cheaper and easier to buy the whole column used with good bearings than to just buy the bearings and replace. I ended up using a column out of an 01 excursion. I also tightened up the bolt on my pitman arm because with all the vibrations it loosened up a bit.

common problem on the 92+ trucks, but the 91 and under dont use this set up. those bearings are very expensive.