Dealer-serviced truck: do they add SCA???

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine bought an 89 truck with 7.3 with about 150K, did a little work on it and decided to sell it and will let it go for $2000. He put some SCA in it when he bought it but he was not certain if the previous owner ever used it. But, the previous owner had all service on the truck done by the dealership he got it from since new. So i am trying to make an educated guess as to how much life this thing really has left before cavitation ruins it.

Does it seem likely that a truck taken to a dealership periodically would have the SCA put in? Or was the cavitation issue something they didn't give much concern to?

Also, does anyone know how to tell if the coolant has this stuff in it already - can you tell by visual inspection?

thanks,
paul

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you cant tell by visual. if you have a napa near you or an international dealership you can get the sca, and whats called test strips. napa calles the sca napakool. you dip the strips in the coolant, it has three patches on them which tell you how many nitrates (the stuff that keeps your engine in the state its at for cavatation) your glycol level (freezing point) and your ph level.

as for the dealership knowing about it....they didnt till mid 90's from what i hear. it is possible that they took care of it there, but what you need to do is test the coolant, and add as necessary!

if you use it regulary starting now you wont have to worry about cavitation, as long as you arnt showing signs of it, then your screwed. see tech articles.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i read some articles about cavitation but don't recall reading about what the signs are, as in how to tell if it has already happened to an engine you are using. Can anyone explain or point me to the right article?
thanks,
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online