Dash paint

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I currently have my dash out of my pickup and the wiring harness on the garage floor. last week i finished re doing the harness under the hood so to get everything to work in the cab im re making the harness in there. anyway while i have the dash out and apart i wanted to paint it a dark grey color. I have heard the duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye is a great paint. But because our dashes are more plastic will this work? I was looking for something like a dye because i dont want it to peel or loose that texture of the dash. Anyone got any ideas?

You must be registered for see images

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I used the same stuff before, worked great. As long as you prep the plastic you should be fine. Its just like regular painting its all on how you prep it. I did however have some flake off on the cushion part on a door panel but I still think it was my prep work.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
retarded question maybe, but how do you prep plastic? I also want to paint a lot of interior

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Clean it all down with some type of grease remover to remove any skin oil, and cleaners you may of used in the past to clean your truck. Then with some plain ole soap and water.

It also probably wouldnt hurt to pick up some adhesion promoter just to be safe, it should be right in the same section as the vinyl paint you have.

1Turbo10

Reaction score
Follow above statements, just did that last weekend and totaly impressed!! Great quality.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Look up dupli color they have a website with forums and actual dupli color techs that will answer questions like this it may just take a day or two but they do answer

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I used that stuff on my dash pad. It matches great and adheres well. I am not sure about seats and other wear points.

I used lacquer thinner to prep the surface, it is hard to beat. But go easy because it will also melt some plastic.

Use rubber gloves while cleaning and you won't have to see fingerprint sized flakes a couple of years down the road.

94f450

Reaction score
This is on my to-do list and I was wondering if regular old rubbing alcohol would be good to clean and prep the surface with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726