Dana 60, 70 or Ford 10.25?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I tell which rear axle I have? It's an 1985 F-250, C-6, single rear wheels, 12x3 brake shoes. It has a Limited Slip and 4.10 gears. Also what kind of limited slip came with these trucks from the factory?

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the Sterling 10.25" rear end, just like I do. Bullet-proof and easy to work on. The OEM LS was the Trak-Lock multiple disk setup. From the factory, the break-away force was set kinda light, but with a shim kit, they can be adjusted to do a great job. The downside is that like any multi-disk setup, as the disks wear out, the LS ability decreases. You might wanna consider a PowerTrax unit. They're designed to fit inside your existing open carrier with a minimum of install fuss. I'm going to install the OEM PT system in my diff this Summer, simply because I have a complete unit sitting on my shelf. It won't be as effective or live as long as a mechanical unit, but I can't beat the price!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
He could have a Dana 70, I have a 85 truck with one in it. Look at the axle code, and come back here and search the faqs section, one of them has a axle code thing that tells you what axle you have.

suv7734

Reaction score
No fill plug on the cover means it is a Sterling rear end. The fill plug is a square drive (3/8") on the passenger side of the housing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online