cruise

rip van sparky

Reaction score
The day before my truck blew up my cruise control stopped working, checked the fuse and vacuum lines, no obvious problems but haven't done in depth diagnostics. Anything to look for during swap? I'd like to fix it before my trip. thanks

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I don't know if your cruise is quite the same as mine but I chased my problem down over two years until my dad and I were poking around with some info from Ford last July and we found the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder was bad, stuck open. It can be checked with an ohm meter. The switch should remain closed until the brakes are operated. Easy to fix if that's it. I checked EVERYTHING -cuss on my truck and this was the easiest thing to fix other than a fuse! :rolleyes: Glad we got it fixed before we drove to Montana and Yellowstone last summer! ;Sweet

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I were poking around with some info from Ford last July and we found the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder was bad, stuck open.

Wouldn't your brake light be on all the time?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
Wouldn't your brake light be on all the time?

No, the switch breaks the circuit for the cruise and is not the switch on the pedal that turns on the brake lights. This one is activated by the pressure in the master cylinder. When I replaced mine a little bit of the brake fluid leaked out. Very little.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that there were a lot of changes in the early '90s. My cruise on my '91 still uses a vacum break switch on the brake pedal. It got dirty and was sticking so I was having to hold the pedal down for several seconds to turn off the cruise.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Righto on the differences in those years. By my MY the cruise is all electronic so I'm sure a lot of the components are different. But it's worth checking to see if that switch is there. Just for reference the switch is right on the front of the master cylinder at the top.

bgfire

Reaction score
Another location you may find the switch is on the frame, on the driver's side of the engine compartment. My truck is a '93 with all electric cruise. In '94 the switch was moved up to the master cylinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner